•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO EAF Binding

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Squeezer04

Squeezer04

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:36 PM

This is not a request for help but rather an explanation of a problem solved. I had been having a devil of a time making my EAF work properly. Some times it would work and sometimes it would be all over the place. The results would vary widely between auto focus attempts. I took everything apart and checked that both the EAF and telescope tube were moving freely. When I put it back together I found there was binding when I rotated the EAF. What I found was I had put the barrel connector that connects the EAF to the rack and pinion shaft on the the telescope too close to the telescope housing. When the EAF rotated the barrel would come in contact with the housing and cause a bind and the connection would slip on the shaft. I moved it away about a 32nd of an inch and everything moves smoothly now.

Another point. I thought you could just turn the manual focus knob with the EAF attached to get a rough focus. You can’t. The EAF motor will not turn manually. You have to use the EAF to move the telescope.

Hope this saves somebody some headaches.

Mike

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:00 PM

The EAF has no clutch. You will damage the motor if you try and move the focuser position manually. You can get a manual control that plugs into the EAF to move the focuser through this hand control unit.

You have now followed the correct installation procedure- you should see a very small space between the telescope focuser shaft & the EAF- your 1/32 of an inch is about right.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics