•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First light with L-Extreme & Redcat (Halo! Halo!)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SkyfallerTac

SkyfallerTac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:36 PM

These were captured in less than 2 hours each of data at 90 gain (I know, I should be using 120+), -4F with ASI294MC pro using Redcat 51 and the L-Extreme filter installed in the redcat's internal filter slot. 

Uses 10x darks, no flats or biases (I've yet to build a library of those)

Stacked in ASIDEEPSTACK with minor saturation and contrast modification. 

Not bad for a first light quickie but the halos on the bright stars I don't like... from what I've read it could be a defective filter... or it could be internal reflection of the filter since its 'too far' from the sensor (some state using a filter drawer rather than the redcat's filter slot brings it closer to sensor and that fixed it). 

What say you?

IC434 Horsehead Nebula  62x120s lights , 10xdarks

zrXNpag.jpg

Rosette Nebula (I think it was just 20x120s lights, with 10 darks)

jXUirNU.jpg

• mikewayne3 likes this

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 30 November 2021 - 01:56 PM

The bright stars surrounding the flame and horsehead are notorious for this.  It's a struggle for almost any filter.  You could try putting it closer?

#3 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:06 PM

The bright stars surrounding the flame and horsehead are notorious for this.  It's a struggle for almost any filter.  You could try putting it closer?

I would try a change of filter- sadly it seems your filter is not well suited to your optical setup- I know this is easier said than done knowing the considerable investment required. I think there is a brightness tipping point on the LE-enhance when halo's will appear.

On my RASA the IDAS NBZ filter shows no halo's even on this region of the sky- it most certainly is a filter issue as the RASA has even more potential to produce halo's than most other systems- the NBZ filter is a game changer and is guaranteed halo free.

#4 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:15 PM

I second the idas NBZ filter...

AT80EDT with reducer and asi533 two minute subs (though it's definitely not the best data...) I didn't touch the stars...

Attached Thumbnails

• badic434nbz.jpg

• SkyfallerTac likes this

#5 SkyfallerTac

SkyfallerTac

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:38 PM

I've set the return of the filter ..not only 'just in case' its defective but also because of the new Antlia 5nm dual band filter being at similar price range. I will be getting a filter sleeve anyway and see if that was causing it. 

I would assume the Antlia will be superior to the NBZ filter?

#6 Blackhawk163

Blackhawk163

Ranger 4

• Loc: NJ

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:38 PM

I have this issue with my L-extreme as well. When I paired it worth the Rasa it was horrible. Same on the edgehd 925 with hyperstar. The only reason I don't sell it is I'll occasionally take the hyperstar off and shoot with the .7 reducer. The L-extreme doesn't seem to handle fast systems well. I have the idas nbz and it's fantastic.

#7 Ibuprofen200mg

Ibuprofen200mg

Mariner 2

• Loc: SC, USA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:20 PM

I just wrapped up shooting the Horsehead in HOO, I did not have any halo with a ZWO 7nm Ha filter but it was rather prominent with the ZWO 7nm OIII filter, both shooting at f/4. I guess it may make sense since I would assume Alnitak and Alnilam are brighter towards the blue side of the spectrum the in the deep red. It wasn't anything that couldn't be zapped out in post though. 

#8 licho52

licho52

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:32 PM

This is normal and well-known for the L-Extreme, along with many other OIII filters.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics