•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Camera rotation displayed by Stellarium

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TAK346

TAK346

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:13 PM

I select imaging targets using Stellarium for coordinates and camera rotation.  I have Stellarium installed on two computers - they give different camera rotation angles for the same target and orientation.  The angles are 60 degrees apart.  The known good computer/Stellarium gives 0 degrees and 90 degrees along the equatorial grid.  The other computer/Stellarium is 60 degrees off from the grid.  I have the same locations, sensors, dates and targets on each and can not figure out why there is a 60 degree difference.  Any suggestions on what I am missing?

#2 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Troy, Illinois

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:17 PM

Are they both set to mount type (equatorial or alt az) in the bottom toolbar?  Next to the "Center on Selected Object" button?

#3 TAK346

TAK346

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:35 PM

Are they both set to mount type (equatorial or alt az) in the bottom toolbar?  Next to the "Center on Selected Object" button?

On my known good computer the angle does not change when I toggle the equatorial or alt az setting.  The display changes but not the camera rotation angle.  On my known bad computer the angle does change!  I feel your suggestion is close to the problem but . . . why are the two acting different?  I feel that my problem is probably something very simple but it is driving me crazy.  Thank you.

Edited by TAK346, 30 November 2021 - 04:41 PM.

#4 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:49 PM

On my known good computer the angle does not change when I toggle the equatorial or alt az setting.  The display changes but not the camera rotation angle.  On my known bad computer the angle does change!  I feel your suggestion is close to the problem but . . . why are the two acting different?  I feel that my problem is probably something very simple but it is driving me crazy.  Thank you.

How about the EQ mount checkbox for the telescope you configured, is that the same on both computers?

#5 TAK346

TAK346

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 04:59 PM

How about the EQ mount checkbox for the telescope you configured, is that the same on both computers?

You fixed my problem - and I would never have found it!  Thank you!  How is the St. Louis area?  I used to visit McDonnell Douglas then Boeing when I worked F-15 programs. 

#6 SkippyMcSkipperson

SkippyMcSkipperson

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 December 2021 - 09:17 AM

You fixed my problem - and I would never have found it!  Thank you!  How is the St. Louis area?  I used to visit McDonnell Douglas then Boeing when I worked F-15 programs. 

It's OK, I try to stay out of the city, crime is getting worse in my opinion.

I live on the Illinois side, so if I can image any direction but west I can avoid that light dome.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics