•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Castor

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:31 PM

Does anyone know what aperture/magnification is needed to split Castor into 3 components?  I've been out twice with my 80mm and 2 components show easily, - but I could not seperate the 3rd star, even using a 2.5X barlow and 4mm eyepiece. I could Not split Rigel either, with this set up.  I know there is No Definitive answer,  just looking to  ball park it.   I zoomed in on Stellarium and the 3rd star pops out, - so I know it's there.

Edited by Thomas Marshall, 30 November 2021 - 06:33 PM.

• flt158 likes this

#2 AdmiralAckbar

AdmiralAckbar

Mariner 2

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:39 PM

According to Stelle Doppie, the C component is a much wider split (71.6") than A and B (5.44"), but C is considerably fainter (~mag 10) than A (~mag 2) and B (~mag 3).

I'm surprised that you had trouble with Rigel, though. It's an easy split in my 60mm at this time. If you split Castor A & B, I think you should be able to split Rigel... a (comparatively) small, pale blue secondary at about 8 o'clock (in an inverted refractor view) from the primary.

Edited by AdmiralAckbar, 30 November 2021 - 08:21 PM.

• flt158 and The60mmKid like this

#3 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:26 PM

OK, - I've seen the faint wide component. But zooming in on Stellarium, Castor 1st seperates the 3 mag. component, then further zooming shows another near it popping out. It looks bright, but say's nearly 10th mag. That's the one I am wondering about. I can split Rigel with my 4" ED/F7, and even easier with my C8, but my little Grab and Go doesn't get there. 

#4 Carbstone

Carbstone

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tisselt, Belgium

Posted 01 December 2021 - 04:56 AM

Last April, I was able to observe the four components with the NexStar 8SE (Hyperion 16mm, 127 x).  A and B were white, C and D light yellow.

• flt158 and Thomas Marshall like this

#5 tdfwds

tdfwds

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:36 AM

OK, - I've seen the faint wide component. But zooming in on Stellarium, Castor 1st seperates the 3 mag. component, then further zooming shows another near it popping out. It looks bright, but say's nearly 10th mag. That's the one I am wondering about. I can split Rigel with my 4" ED/F7, and even easier with my C8, but my little Grab and Go doesn't get there. 

I'm guessing it's a stellarium artefact.  The real D (according to WDS), although tenth mag and looking very optical, is a whole 3 arcminutes away, that's nearly 3 times further than the 9thish mag C star, and is a similar distance from the C star as A is.

Unless stellarium is putting in something 'by hand', instead of using catalogues is the usual case, with the catalogues being based on sky survey imaging, it's doubtful any of these star surveys can split a 10th mag companion close to Castor A and B because both would be overexposed relative to it and hide it.

Can you use the snip tool or something on this zoomed in image of the object to show where and what this 10th mag star is?  If it includes A and B as well as this star you can't find in the telescope then we can guesstimate the relative distance and position of it from A in comparison to them.  Just in case, the snip tool is an operating system feature, not a stellarium one, in win7 onwards.  If you're using linux the desktop gui will probably include something similar, but likely package specific namewise.

• flt158, Thomas Marshall and AdmiralAckbar like this

#6 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:51 PM

tdfwds - I have very poor computer skills, - and can barely use my smart phone. I think you may be right about it being a Stellarium artefact.  If I get out with my 102F/7 or my C8 this season, I will crank them up to see what shows up.  Carbstone says he got 4 components with his C8. My Stellarium is 2015 dated, - but I believe in the axiom - "if it ain't broke, - don't fix it",  so it does so much very good, that I don't chance any updates to invite trouble.  

• Rich5567 likes this

#7 tdfwds

tdfwds

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:54 PM

tdfwds - I have very poor computer skills, - and can barely use my smart phone. I think you may be right about it being a Stellarium artefact.  If I get out with my 102F/7 or my C8 this season, I will crank them up to see what shows up.  Carbstone says he got 4 components with his C8. My Stellarium is 2015 dated, - but I believe in the axiom - "if it ain't broke, - don't fix it",  so it does so much very good, that I don't chance any updates to invite trouble.  

It's in the start menu somewhere, called snip.  I'd never heard of it till IT (called IS for information services for some reason, I got into trouble when I called them ISIS once in a slip of the tongue...) got all keen on it when they upgraded us to win10 and the universe fell to bits.  Then they got this communication setup thingy where they could watch your screen.  Still took ages to for them to fix anything though (which invariably consisted of simply reinstalling entire suites), so I don't know what the point was.

As you say, if it ain't broke, leave it be.  Now go to Richmond, Seattle and shout that at them! ; )

Also apologies, it's spelt artifact, my spelling has gone downhill since computers, especially as most UK dictionaries available for packages still will forgive US spellings half the time, even if they also have UK spellings in them.  It always used to make me smile at work when outlook (which personally I don't allow on my computer) used to allow the word colour in the body text of an email, but underline it with a red wiggly line when put in the subject heading of the email!  Somehow a different dictionary for each bit!  Mind you, I found Word had been set up for the Australian English dictionary by IS for some reason...

The D star that the other fellow mentioned exists, but it is nowhere near the main pair, being farther from the main pair than the C star is by nearly 3 times.

Ah, well, the clouds came in and stayed, so no comet for me.  Time for bed, said Zeberdee... ...boing!!!

(Surprisingly, some folk will understand that bit).

• Thomas Marshall and Rich5567 like this

#8 Rich5567

Rich5567

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Beverley. East Yorkshire. England. U.K

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:55 AM

Ah, well, the clouds came in and stayed, so no comet for me.  Time for bed, said Zeberdee... ...boing!!!

(Surprisingly, some folk will understand that bit).

Yeah, me for one.lol.gif

• flt158 likes this

#9 Carbstone

Carbstone

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Tisselt, Belgium

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:03 AM

Thomas,

Attached two screen prints of Stelle Dopie to figure out where to locate the 4 components.

Succes,

Dirk

Attached Thumbnails

• Castor.jpg
  • Castor 1.jpg

• flt158, Thomas Marshall, Bigzmey and 1 other like this

#10 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Dirk! I'll use that next time I go out.  I'm sure about A/B/C/ but I'll look for D also.  These doubles or multiples that are widely spaced, don't quite feel like "Doubles", - I mean there are thousands of closer stars everywhere out there. - Visually closer anyway.      I Googled "ZEBERDEE" and can't find the reference. Like a Mushroom, - In the Dark.

Edited by Thomas Marshall, 02 December 2021 - 04:40 PM.

• flt158 and Carbstone like this

#11 tdfwds

tdfwds

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:25 PM

Thanks Dirk! I'll use that next time I go out.  I'm sure about A/B/C/ but I'll look for D also.  These doubles or multiples that are widely spaced, don't quite feel like "Doubles", - I mean there are thousands of closer stars everywhere out there. - Visually closer anyway.      I Googled "ZEBERDEE" and can't find the reference. Like a Mushroom, - In the Dark.

I spelt it wrong, it's zebedee.

Aeons ago the BC of B bought a french stop motion puppet thing for kids which ran for years.  When they tried to translate it it made no sense whatsoever, so a bloke (who was in fact Emma Thompson's dad) made his own stories up based on what he watched, apparently.  As it was always on just before the evening news, and after it had been on it was supposedly time for little kiddy-winkles to go to bed, adults often saw it too.  In time some little jokes for adults crept into the scripts of the ilk that were bound to fly over the kiddies' heads.  A bit like the panto tradition, but nowhere near as innuendo laden.

I can't find one where he exactly says it, and I've just discovered if you look at youtube with cookies turned on you get annoying adverts, but here

https://www.youtube....h?v=kZTBDnj0Cgc

• Thomas Marshall likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics