•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observing Logs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DFHuie82

DFHuie82

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Marietta, Georgia

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:55 PM

Hello fellow astronomy fans!

Tonight, I recently put together a typed observing log when I last viewed through my telescope which was a couple of weeks ago. I did a little research and found all kinds on info but used information from BBC Sky at Night magazine as my outline.

I included the date, time of my observations, telescope type, types of lenses, any filters used, viewing conditions and the target details of the Moon, Jupiter and Venus. Also included some personal comments about the observing session.

Wanted to ask who puts together viewing logs, what do you include and how has it helped you in learning this hobby of astronomy.

Thanks and Happy Viewing. 

• Stefano Delmonte likes this

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:05 PM

Journaling, in general... is a good exercise in self-awareness and actualization. An ~Observing Log~ is one such vehicle. I'm many thousands of pages in, maybe 20% being actual observing logs. I occasionally share a sketch or two, but fully-realize it's value is entirely to me, and no one else. You will probably find that the personal notes and impressions (especially the unusual ones) are most valuable years and decades hence. There is no right or wrong format. Decide and do what feels best for you. Don't rely exclusively on electronic media --- nearly all of those will not open or function years from now.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 66 36-inch journal 80 Tom's Observing Log #37.jpg

• DFHuie82 likes this

#3 Migwan

Migwan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:25 PM

Might be over the top, but here's what I am presently using.

11/3/21,  23:15-02:00,  30 - 26° ,   Calm,   RH 76-87%,   (Clear Skies) Trans 3/5 , See 4/5,  NELM  5.65,   PS 6/10,  SQM  20.4,   755’,  Home,   SQM 21.84,  1124’,   Dark Side 

I keep the above as a template.  I change the values and delete either home or dark site.  NELM and PS (Pickering Scale) are quite subjective in communicating conditions to others, but IMO, quite objective to oneself as a point of comparison. 

I usually begin by qualifying the conditions as seen compared to predicted.     Then note observations of each target below that. 

I keep the table below on top of the template as a quick reference and delete it when finished, before saving the log.   Saves a lot of time.

Power switch                            Reducer        Barlow  
1100    40mm      75x   .53        52x    .76
            30mm     100x  .72°      70x     1°       200x  .36°
            24mm     125x  .54    
            22mm     136x  .60°      95x   .86°      272x  .3°      
            17mm     176x             123x 
            13mm     239x  .42°     181x  .55°      461x  .22°
              9mm     333x  .23°     233x  .31°      667x  .11° 
           6.5mm     461x  .17°     323x  .24 °     923x  .08 °

120      30mm     20x    3.6°
            24mm     25x   2.7
            22mm     27x    3.0°
            13mm     46x    2.2°
              9mm     67x    1.1°         x2    133x     .55°
           6.5mm     92x    .82°         x2    184x     .41°

Tom brings up a valid point as word processing and/or spread sheets formats have changed in the past making them rather incompatible.   Never thought of that.

Edited by Migwan, 30 November 2021 - 09:26 PM.

• DFHuie82 likes this

#4 Stefano Delmonte

Stefano Delmonte

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Salou (Spain) & Broni (Italy)

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:18 AM

Hello fellow astronomy fans!

Tonight, I recently put together a typed observing log when I last viewed through my telescope which was a couple of weeks ago. I did a little research and found all kinds on info but used information from BBC Sky at Night magazine as my outline.

I included the date, time of my observations, telescope type, types of lenses, any filters used, viewing conditions and the target details of the Moon, Jupiter and Venus. Also included some personal comments about the observing session.

Wanted to ask who puts together viewing logs, what do you include and how has it helped you in learning this hobby of astronomy.

Thanks and Happy Viewing. 

Hi, in my more than 40 years observing exp. I'll strongly suggets you to just start note down your sessions, with time you'll improve the system and in the future you'll love see the changes!

Ste

• SabiaJD and DFHuie82 like this

#5 Alan S

Alan S

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:26 AM

I'll add this in hindsight after filling a couple journals 20 years ago...they are not easy to refer back to when looking for observations of a specific target.  If I want to look back at past observations of say NGC 891, I have no way to find them other than going day by day through the journal during the past seasons it is in the sky.

I'd recommend using individual sheets of paper and then inserting into a 3 ring binder according to whatever system for organization you prefer.  I have binders for deep sky, solar, comets, etc...

At least it works for me- I have a friend that uses note cards and that works for him.

Clear skies-

• SabiaJD and DFHuie82 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics