•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Should I use my scope for solar?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zerogee

zerogee

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 01 December 2021 - 05:34 PM

Observing conditions at night have been terrible lately so I was thinking that observing solar could give me more opportunities. I have a Tasco Spacestation 70mm f11.4. You can find my journey with it here... https://www.cloudyni...n-70mm-x-800mm/

My concern is that it uses a lot of plastic components. The optical tube is aluminum. It has one steel baffle. The barrel on the eyepieces is aluminum. All lenses are glass. However, the dew shield, objective cell, focuser assembly, diagonal, the eyepiece optical cells and housings are all plastic. It is all black too.

I would make a white frame for the solar film that would sit inside the dew shield right on top of the objective cell. A white sun screen would go over the objective cell and get sandwiched between the cell and dew shield to hold it in place. Possibly using a UV/IR filter on the eyepiece too?? But should I even bother??

#2 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 01 December 2021 - 05:45 PM

As long as you have that solar film in front of your objective you are only admitting about .01% of the light of the sun, the scope will be fine.

• zerogee likes this

#3 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:15 PM

I would make a white frame for the solar film that would sit inside the dew shield right on top of the objective cell. A white sun screen would go over the objective cell and get sandwiched between the cell and dew shield to hold it in place. Possibly using a UV/IR filter on the eyepiece too?? But should I even bother??

Heya,

That's a great way to start. You'll be looking at sunspots and watching it all rotate on the same day. Very rewarding and different every day. Definitely worth the bother.

Very best,

• zerogee likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics