•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10x50 - Nikon AE vs Vortex Diamondback HD

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 05:46 PM

Anyone have both of these? I was going to buy the Nikon but want more close focus for the bird feeders.

Is the night time view through the Vortex on par with the Nikon?

Clear skies!
  • idahoeng likes this

#2 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:54 PM

10x is overkill for close focus bird feeders.

https://www.optics4b...binoculars.html Click on specifications.

Stan

Thanks, but like a lot of other choices in the binocular world, 10x vs 8x is a personal preference.

Besides, I already own an 8x42 and am only looking at the two binoculars listed above.

Cheers!

Edited by NGC 2419, 01 December 2021 - 07:10 PM.

#3 idahoeng

idahoeng

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:17 AM

I have nothing to add, other than I’m hoping for replies to this topic too.

#4 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:42 AM

Different prices, in my part of the world anyway, either one would do the job needed, The Diamondback HD is a better binocular but like most things in life make sure you have a good return policy. The Celetron nature  10x50 ED is rather good as well,Dave.

#5 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:34 PM

Different prices, in my part of the world anyway, either one would do the job needed, The Diamondback HD is a better binocular but like most things in life make sure you have a good return policy. The Celetron nature 10x50 ED is rather good as well,Dave.

The reason I am comparing binoculars of different prices is because I read here that it costs more to make a roof prism that performs as well as a porro prism all else being equal.

My goal is to achieve at least the same quality night time view as the Nikon while gaining the close focus capability of the Vortex, even if it costs a little more.

As for returns, I will buy from B&H or Amazon so no problem there, and you can't really beat the warranty offered by Vortex.

Thanks for the reply!

#6 Bkoh

Bkoh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:57 AM

The reason I am comparing binoculars of different prices is because I read here that it costs more to make a roof prism that performs as well as a porro prism all else being equal.

My goal is to achieve at least the same quality night time view as the Nikon while gaining the close focus capability of the Vortex, even if it costs a little more.

As for returns, I will buy from B&H or Amazon so no problem there, and you can't really beat the warranty offered by Vortex.

Thanks for the reply!

Since you have already narrowed down your choices, why not just buy both and return the one you like less? Seems pretty straightforward. You may even decide to keep both!

#7 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:11 AM

Since you have already narrowed down your choices, why not just buy both and return the one you like less? Seems pretty straightforward. You may even decide to keep both!

I've never liked the idea of buying 2 of something and sending one back as the one that gets returned will need to be sold as an open box.

This seems like it can only lead to higher costs for the vendor, and eventually, higher prices for the consumer.

And even if I did, there would be no chance of me keeping both.
  • osbourne one-nil, jerobe, ihf and 1 other like this

#8 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:18 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like that!

I had a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks, but the eye relief never worked for me. I imagine my experience was unusual though. 

• f18dad likes this

#9 Bkoh

Bkoh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:46 AM

I've never liked the idea of buying 2 of something and sending one back as the one that gets returned will need to be sold as an open box.

This seems like it can only lead to higher costs for the vendor, and eventually, higher prices for the consumer.

And even if I did, there would be no chance of me keeping both.

In that case, you will have to decide on your priorities.

The Nikon is widely recommended for astronomy, the Vortex is seldom mentioned. On the other hand, the Vortex will let you focus nearer for your birds.

Stars - Nikon
Birds - Vortex

Only you can decide which is more important.

• Binojunky likes this

#10 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:33 AM

In that case, you will have to decide on your priorities.

The Nikon is widely recommended for astronomy, the Vortex is seldom mentioned. On the other hand, the Vortex will let you focus nearer for your birds.

Stars - Nikon
Birds - Vortex

Only you can decide which is more important.

Which is why I was looking for someone that has/had both, so I could hear about their experience.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to find someone who can answer the original question: "Is the night time view through the Vortex on par with the Nikon?"

#11 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the reply!

Just one thing to check if you go with a RP design, some have fairly thick rubber around the objectives and that can make for a wide IPD, I returned two models until I found one that worked for me, no problems with a regular porro design, Dave.

#12 cupton

cupton

Ranger 4

• Loc: Marshall Township, PA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:08 PM

Not sure if it helps, but I have the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50's and an older pair of the Nikon Action 10x50's from before Nikon had the Action EX. So, I believe that these would be considered the new Aculon's.

Anyway, I did a quick amateur comparison between the two one night. I spent maybe only 20 minutes outside looking through both pairs at the Pleiades before moving down to some stars I’ve never really looked at before in Taurus. I was surprised the difference between the Nikon and Vortex binos and how the Vortex picked up a lot more. In the Nikons on the Pleiades for example there’s a string of stars (image below) that looked like a faint white line with a hint of stars. In the Vortex there was no faint line, there was a nice little string of pin point stars. I thought it was interesting and was surprised at the difference. Again, I have an older pair of the Nikons and Im sure the newer EX's and even the Aculons would beat out my old Actions.

Just wanted to share in case this helped. I love my Vortex HD's and they are my dedicated stargazing bino's.
f909f0c18aebcb8b8ef5bc06601073ad.jpg

Edited by cupton, 03 December 2021 - 01:09 PM.

• Mark9473 and GateauxEtVelos like this

#13 f18dad

f18dad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:36 PM

Not sure if it helps, but I have the Vortex Diamondback HD 10x50's and an older pair of the Nikon Action 10x50's from before Nikon had the Action EX. So, I believe that these would be considered the new Aculon's.

Nikon has been producing Action Extreme since 2001. Therefore, the model used in this comparison would probably be employing a build design over 20 years old, perhaps much older, compared to modern AE's.

#14 cupton

cupton

Ranger 4

• Loc: Marshall Township, PA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:43 PM

Nikon has been producing Action Extreme since 2001. Therefore, the model used in this comparison would probably be employing a build design over 20 years old, perhaps much older, compared to modern AE's.

Makes since since I believe I got this pair about 2000 which was the year my son was born. Wasn't quite ready to buy a scope due to new baby expenses so the binoculars were the route to go for me at the time. 

• f18dad likes this

#15 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. This part is encouraging.

Just wanted to share in case this helped. I love my Vortex HD's and they are my dedicated stargazing bino's.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics