•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My ZWO ASI2600 MC Pro disconnects if exposure is longer than 2.7 secs.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:06 PM

Would that likely be caused by a driver issue?

In other words, it appears power and data cables are all intact. Power level is 13V. If I keep imaging at 2.6 seconds or less, I can image (do EAA) for hours. But if I ever sneak to 2.7 seconds, Sharpcap reports that the camera has disconnected immediately. I was thinking, ... maybe I should install the ASI suite of imaging programs to check THEIR ability to image with the 2600? Anyone ever come across this ailment before?

I did indeed experience a problem two weeks ago that prompted me to reinstall ASCOM. Maybe the newer ASCOM drivers didn't like the ZWO driver? There's not a camera-specific driver, right? All ZWO cameras rely on the same driver, right?

#2 scopewizard

scopewizard

Viking 1

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:18 PM

I believe 2 drivers exist, one for ASCOM while the other is simple camera driver for window, install both and select the camera driver, not ASCOM, see if it works. I have never used the ASCOM driver.

• EmeraldHills likes this

#3 licho52

licho52

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:20 PM

This might have to do with the USB connection, which can be really finnicky with 2600 cameras(and possibly others).  Once I had something like that and switched to a different USB3 port and it went away.  Try that and/or a different USB cable.

#4 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:33 PM

Well, the first thing to do is to put the computer next to the mount using a short USB3 cable. If it works properly then you should be looking at your USB topology. If it doesn't then it's a deeper problem. 

The only way I ever achieved high frame rates for planetary imaging was to put the computer on the OTA (it was a big OTA) and connect it directly (no hub) to the camera QHY174 cooled. Even interposing a high quality hub into the mix slowed down the framerate. I was using Sharpcap, FWIW.

Rgrds-Ross 

• EmeraldHills and bobzeq25 like this

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:37 PM

Make sure your USB ports don't go into power-saving mode.  Check the power management profile.

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 01 December 2021 - 06:48 PM

I did indeed experience a problem two weeks ago that prompted me to reinstall ASCOM. Maybe the newer ASCOM drivers didn't like the ZWO driver? There's not a camera-specific driver, right? All ZWO cameras rely on the same driver, right?

SharpCap has direct native support specifically for ZWO cameras, in addition SharpCap can also use the ZWO ASCOM driver to control ZWO cameras. I'm guessing that you are using the native support in SharpCap to control your camera (it should show up explicitly in the camera list as something like ASI2600MC), not the ASCOM driver? 

#7 daveco2

daveco2

Ranger 4

• Loc: Torrance, CA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:06 PM

Downloading from my asi2600 was problematic through SGP until I turned down the USB speed.  I don't know if that's settable in SharpCap.

#8 jdupton

jdupton

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

Doug,

After you eliminate the possibility of a cable or driver issue, check out camera power.

The ASI2600Mx cameras are among those that need more power than can be supplied by the USB connection alone. Normally, the extra power needed to run the camera and read out the sensor is supplemented by the power connection to the TEC cooler circuit.

Are you running the TEC cooler and if so at what power level and temperature? You report that camera is getting 13 volt power but it may be current starved if the source of that power is not enough to run both the TEC cooler and also share power with the rest of the electronics. If the 13 volt power source cannot source enough current to run both at the same time, the internal voltage in the camera will drop and you can lose the USB connection.

Even if you do not use the TEC cooler, you must supply power to the power cable connection on the camera. ZWO advises of this issue on their Website. A similar issue can happen on the ASI6200Mx and ASI294Mx cameras.

If the issue remains after checking USB cables and drivers, try a different power supply or simply turn the TEC cooler off to see if that frees up enough current to eliminate the short-exposures-only problem. If you can shoot longer exposures with the TEC turned off but the TEC power connected and powered, then you will need to find a better power source for the camera.

John

Edit PS: 

Doug, I note that you participated in a similar thread back during the summer. Is this thread something new and different?

Check out the following link to the ZWO Website regarding this issue.
https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/d/11142-asi2600-no-exposures-over-2-second

There are also several threads here on CN for this issue. Here is of them.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/775442-asi2600mc-pro-usb-issues-test-report-findings/

Edited by jdupton, 01 December 2021 - 07:36 PM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#9 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:40 PM

Hi Scopewizard. Yes - indeed - I'm using the camera driver, not the ASCOM generic driver. So... rats. No joy.

I believe 2 drivers exist, one for ASCOM while the other is simple camera driver for window, install both and select the camera driver, not ASCOM, see if it works. I have never used the ASCOM driver.

#10 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:42 PM

Hi Licho52. But, with deep respect, if this were a port problem, would it allow me to image all night long at 2.6 seconds without even so much as ONE failure? Then, if I move to 2.7 seconds, it fails instantly. So I can work *ENDLESSLY* at 2.6 seconds. Having said that, I tried multiple ports. No joy. Still limited to 2.6 seconds.

This might have to do with the USB connection, which can be really finnicky with 2600 cameras(and possibly others).  Once I had something like that and switched to a different USB3 port and it went away.  Try that and/or a different USB cable.

#11 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:45 PM

Hi Ross. This is what I tried first. It still dropped precisely after exceeding 2.6 seconds, even with the short cable.

I didn't follow your comment about high frame rates. Keep in mind, I can image at 2.6 seconds all night long. (I did so last night.) But I don't WANT high frame rates. I would love to be able to image for 5 or 10 seconds... or 15 or 20. But the limit is EXACTLY 2.65 -- in both sharpcap and Nina. I'm thinking I should install ASI's own application and test from there, in case it's a driver.

Well, the first thing to do is to put the computer next to the mount using a short USB3 cable. If it works properly then you should be looking at your USB topology. If it doesn't then it's a deeper problem. 

The only way I ever achieved high frame rates for planetary imaging was to put the computer on the OTA (it was a big OTA) and connect it directly (no hub) to the camera QHY174 cooled. Even interposing a high quality hub into the mix slowed down the framerate. I was using Sharpcap, FWIW.

Rgrds-Ross 

#12 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:46 PM

Hi Jim. Went and checked that immediately. All ports are configured to stay 'live' indefinitely.

Make sure your USB ports don't go into power-saving mode.  Check the power management profile.

#13 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:48 PM

Correct, Errol. I've been trying to use the driver that's labeled directly after the title of the camera. Thank you.

SharpCap has direct native support specifically for ZWO cameras, in addition SharpCap can also use the ZWO ASCOM driver to control ZWO cameras. I'm guessing that you are using the native support in SharpCap to control your camera (it should show up explicitly in the camera list as something like ASI2600MC), not the ASCOM driver? 

#14 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:03 PM

Hi Daveco2. But it's downloading the 2.6 second exposures perfectly. And they're the same size as a 20-second exposure. Does that make sense?

Downloading from my asi2600 was problematic through SGP until I turned down the USB speed.  I don't know if that's settable in SharpCap.

#15 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:06 PM

HI John. the 2.6 second limit held whether the built-in camera "dew heater" was on or off, as well as whether the Tec heater was on or off. I have a separate 12V cable running to the camera - and the power supply is offering 30 amps at 13 volts.

????

So this situation seems very different from any thread that you reference -- at least to me? Tell me what I'm missing please.

Doug,

After you eliminate the possibility of a cable or driver issue, check out camera power.

The ASI2600Mx cameras are among those that need more power than can be supplied by the USB connection alone. Normally, the extra power needed to run the camera and read out the sensor is supplemented by the power connection to the TEC cooler circuit.

Are you running the TEC cooler and if so at what power level and temperature? You report that camera is getting 13 volt power but it may be current starved if the source of that power is not enough to run both the TEC cooler and also share power with the rest of the electronics. If the 13 volt power source cannot source enough current to run both at the same time, the internal voltage in the camera will drop and you can lose the USB connection.

Even if you do not use the TEC cooler, you must supply power to the power cable connection on the camera. ZWO advises of this issue on their Website. A similar issue can happen on the ASI6200Mx and ASI294Mx cameras.

If the issue remains after checking USB cables and drivers, try a different power supply or simply turn the TEC cooler off to see if that frees up enough current to eliminate the short-exposures-only problem. If you can shoot longer exposures with the TEC turned off but the TEC power connected and powered, then you will need to find a better power source for the camera.

John

Edit PS: 

Doug, I note that you participated in a similar thread back during the summer. Is this thread something new and different?

Check out the following link to the ZWO Website regarding this issue.
https://bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/d/11142-asi2600-no-exposures-over-2-second

There are also several threads here on CN for this issue. Here is of them.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/775442-asi2600mc-pro-usb-issues-test-report-findings/

#16 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:45 PM

My point (poorly made) is that it's surprising how "anything" can affect USB3 connections. Reading through the thread, you might as well try the ASI software because that's what they will ask you to use if you have a camera issue. I've been trying to get them to take back a defective camera for two weeks now with no luck, so I know their protocol very well. 

Both the ASCOM and any other driver just exist as a wrapper around the native driver that ZWO provides and that you have to download. The difference is that the native driver exposes some features that are not supported in ASCOM (as far as I can tell) but the code base is the same.

Rgrds-Ross

#17 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 10:46 PM

OK - I'll do exactly that. Thanks Ross.

My point (poorly made) is that it's surprising how "anything" can affect USB3 connections. Reading through the thread, you might as well try the ASI software because that's what they will ask you to use if you have a camera issue. I've been trying to get them to take back a defective camera for two weeks now with no luck, so I know their protocol very well. 

Both the ASCOM and any other driver just exist as a wrapper around the native driver that ZWO provides and that you have to download. The difference is that the native driver exposes some features that are not supported in ASCOM (as far as I can tell) but the code base is the same.

Rgrds-Ross

#18 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:46 PM

OK - just downloaded ASI Studio. Exactly the same behavior. It ran perfectly if the exposures were set for 1 second each. It would have run all night. The moment I set the exposure for something longer... like 5 seconds... it disconnected. What in the world could this be?

#19 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 02 December 2021 - 01:50 AM

When you run the TEC cooler, is the camera indicating that it has cooled to the desired temp?

I ask because the symptoms are similar to not having +12v connected; if the cooler is actually functioning, that can't be it.

#20 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:32 AM

Tested. The TEC cooler AND the built-in dew heater function perfectly -- as long as exposures are under 2.6 seconds in length.

#21 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:39 AM

I wonder if there's any kind of provision to "reset to factory settings" on ZWO cameras? Looking at the manual:

https://astronomy-im...0_Manual_EN.pdf

Edited by EmeraldHills, 02 December 2021 - 07:40 AM.

#22 scopewizard

scopewizard

Viking 1

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:11 PM

Try this, remove the ZWO ASCOM driver, remove the native ZWO driver. Shutdown Windows, wait 30 secs and start Windows. Re-install both drivers.

Test.

#23 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 01:04 PM

Sounds inspiring. I'll try. Thanks scopewizard.

#24 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

Found the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all this - it was a bad cable!

It was the post by TelescopeGreg, "...the symptoms are similar to not having +12v connected;"

I figured, "He sounds like he knows what he's talking about." So I put a VOM meter on the cable running to the camera. I couldn't believe it!

I'll rewire it tonight. Lord willing, I'll be back out under the night sky tomorrow night -- with MORE than a 2-second camera.

CloudyNights rocks!

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for your help... and patience with my learning curve!

Doug

• drprovi57, tjay and Robinodavo like this

#25 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:17 AM

Found the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all this - it was a bad cable!

It was the post by TelescopeGreg, "...the symptoms are similar to not having +12v connected;"

I figured, "He sounds like he knows what he's talking about." So I put a VOM meter on the cable running to the camera. I couldn't believe it!

I'll rewire it tonight. Lord willing, I'll be back out under the night sky tomorrow night -- with MORE than a 2-second camera.

CloudyNights rocks!

Thank you soooooooooooooooo much for your help... and patience with my learning curve!

Doug

YAY!!!! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics