•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Swift, bright and awesome meteor.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tropobob

Tropobob

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cairns Australia

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:07 PM

Whilst looking for Mars this morning, unsuccessfully, I glimpsed a extremely swift meteor between Canis Major and Orion.   I assume it to be a member of the Puppid-Velids.

The meteor commenced as brightly as Sirius and became as bright as Venus before ending abruptly. Its arc easily covered 15 degrees.

My gut feeling is that I have rarely, if ever seen such a swift, bright meteor covering such distance.   Normally the swift ones that I see are faint and short travelers. Normally, bright meteors are slower than this one.

I had taken a 'half chance' in a hazy sky to look around and what was appearing to be a waste of time suddenly turned into a magic moment, when I reconnected with my childlike awe of the stars.

• pyrasanth and 39cross like this

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:42 PM

Whilst looking for Mars this morning, unsuccessfully, I glimpsed a extremely swift meteor between Canis Major and Orion.   I assume it to be a member of the Puppid-Velids.

The meteor commenced as brightly as Sirius and became as bright as Venus before ending abruptly. Its arc easily covered 15 degrees.

My gut feeling is that I have rarely, if ever seen such a swift, bright meteor covering such distance.   Normally the swift ones that I see are faint and short travelers. Normally, bright meteors are slower than this one.

I had taken a 'half chance' in a hazy sky to look around and what was appearing to be a waste of time suddenly turned into a magic moment, when I reconnected with my childlike awe of the stars.

"I had taken a 'half chance' in a hazy sky to look around and what was appearing to be a waste of time suddenly turned into a magic moment,"

And that's the way it usually happens..........

• Tropobob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics