•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrade diagonal and eye pieces before buying another scope?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ugly_scope

Ugly_scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:07 PM

I often wonder if this is a better investment ?
  • sevenofnine likes this

#2 burb scope

burb scope

Viking 1

• Loc: Holland, MI

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:12 PM

Agreed.  Use those better accessories on (almost) any other future scope.

• TOMDEY likes this

#3 Echolight

Echolight

Gemini

• Loc: Texas

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:42 PM

I only upgraded my diagonal because I bought a scope with a 2 inch focuser, but it came with a 1.25 inch diagonal. So to make the most out of the scope, to get the widest field of view for fitting large open clusters, I had to get a 2 inch diagonal and low power wide field eyepiece. Also, the wider field of view made it a lot easier to find objects in the eyepiece.

But yeah. I’ve used that diagonal and eyepiece on several scopes. Of course the diagonal is no good for newtonians.

I did buy a zoom eyepiece and a barlow first. Before the diagonal. For planets and the Moon. They’re the easiest objects in the sky to find. And nearly everyone starts out looking at the Moon. And planets if they’re in season.

Edited by Echolight, 01 December 2021 - 09:57 PM.

#4 vtornado

vtornado

Aurora

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:41 PM

What scope do you have now? What eyepieces? What diagonal?

$33 eyepieces work as well as $100 eyepieces on Axis.  They may have poor eye relief,

narrow field, and mushy in the outer part of the field  compared to pricier models.

Cheap diagonals are another story.  I have seen some really bad ones.  Not collimated, restrictred

aperture, rough surfaces etc.

Try using your scope without the diagonal and if the image is much improved,

the diagonal is the first thing to replace.

Edited by vtornado, 01 December 2021 - 11:44 PM.

• radiofm74 and Ugly_scope like this

#5 hlee

hlee

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 December 2021 - 11:51 PM

Yes.  Telescopes may come and go, but properly chosen accessories (eyepieces, diagonals, finders, etc.) almost never outlive their usefulness.

#6 rhetfield

rhetfield

Vanguard

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:05 AM

What is your current scope and what would you upgrade to?

If the current scope is an ST80 and the upgrade is a 16" dob, better to use the money to help pay for the dob.  No amount of money spent on eyepieces and diagonal would allow the little scope to do what the light bucket would.

If the choice is to upgrade from a 4" to a 5" refractor, then the eyepieces and diagonal might make more sense.

• vtornado likes this

#7 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:21 AM

On the other hand, it really depends on the scope. I replaced the eyepieces on an old Tasco refractor with ones made by Meade. Yes, the views were better than they were but terrible by today's standards. There are lots of variables here. Without knowing what scope, it's impossible to say whether this is a good move or not. 

I just replaced all of my plossls with Explore Scientific and AstroTech Paradigm Dual ED's and the difference is dramatic in all of my scopes. So if your scope is of decent quality then upgrading eyepieces and the diagonal can be the best thing to do before you give up on the scope. Best of luck with your decisions! hmm.gif

Edited by sevenofnine, 02 December 2021 - 12:23 AM.

• Tweel likes this

#8 Ugly_scope

Ugly_scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 06:23 AM

I have a 4” mak from Levenhuk, I’m not sure they make telescopes anymore..

Anyhow I use the stock 1.25” diagonal and I upgraded main main eyepiece to 25mm svbony wide angle..

I’ve been using this scope for the past 5 years. Of course views of moon and planets are most enjoyable.. also the images I have taken are decent.

I also invested in a 6.3 focal reducer “setup” in hopes of improving its ability to view DSO.
  • radiofm74 likes this

#9 radiofm74

radiofm74

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milano (Italy)

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:51 AM

I have a 4” mak from Levenhuk, I’m not sure they make telescopes anymore..

Anyhow I use the stock 1.25” diagonal and I upgraded main main eyepiece to 25mm svbony wide angle..

I’ve been using this scope for the past 5 years. Of course views of moon and planets are most enjoyable.. also the images I have taken are decent.

I also invested in a 6.3 focal reducer “setup” in hopes of improving its ability to view DSO.

I think you've had useful advice

- For the diagonal the test is simple: look through your scope without it, and if the view improves significantly consider buying another diagonal

- More/better eyepieces are an investment you'll carry on to your next scope but as others pointed out, you need to know what you're going for. Past a certain (rather affordable) level, what you're buying is essentially a wider FoV, better performance off-axis, better eye relief … and oftentimes more weight! I live happily with a set composed of a 32mm Plössl and 18, 10, 6 Orthos plus a Barlow (the Baader Q-Set). I've also bought a good super-wide 2" 40mm for my refractor and am happy I got it, but my gut feeling is that the Baaders will still be my most-used eyepieces. They're real good on-axis, light and easy, and they're very affordable. 

• vtornado likes this

#10 Ugly_scope

Ugly_scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 10:51 AM

That’s great advice to test the diagonal. Thanks!

#11 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:53 PM

Whether you should upgrade your scope or accessories is going to depend entirely on what they are.

If your scope is really low end, I'd probably just get a better scope. Odds are good it'll come with at least one better eyepiece anyway, and depending on what you buy it might not even use a diagonal.

On the other hand, some cheap but usable beginner scopes come with poor accessories and improve immensely upon getting decent ones.

Once all of your stuff is at least decent, the question gets a lot harder.

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Hubble

Posted 02 December 2021 - 04:38 PM

Using the reducer will make your extremely tolerant scope less tolerant of cheap eyepieces. You can get wider view but you might notice the views are not as sharp. Maybe, maybe not. No idea how good the SVBONY is. But if you notice the views aren’t as sharp with the reducer, better eyepiece could help.

Scott

#13 mac57

mac57

Viking 1

• Loc: DeLand of Oz, Florida

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

In my opinion, Maks are built for narrow field, high mag views.  Reducers are a cheap band-aid.  Get a fast (f/5, f/7 or so) Dob or frac to compliment your Mak.  Sooner or later you will probably own 2 or 3 scopes if you stick with this hobby, because one type of scope can't do it all.  YMMV  Mark

#14 Ugly_scope

Ugly_scope

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 09:15 PM

I’m with you there, my heart is set on an 8” dob for my next telescope without question.

Thanks everyone for weighing in. Clear skies

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics