•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion BT-82 vs Sky Rover BT-82 Binos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Y.

Mark Y.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 02:12 AM

Hi folks....Complete newbie here.

I've been bit by the astronomy with binos bug,since getting a set of 30x80 Tenjin(Scokc) binoculars 2 months ago.I placed it on an Orion Tritech II tripod and had a blast......I then followed it up with a set of Opticron Adventurer T WP binoculars(12x50) 

The thing is I'd love a set either the Orion Giant View Bt-82 binos,or the less pricey,but possibly as good(this is where you good folks come in.....I hope)

Sky Rover BT-82's that I see on AliExpress,for about $250 less than the Orions.

I have a wife acceptance factor situation to take into consideration and I am also wondering how good are the Sky Rover products as well as buying from China,which may necessitate a tariff.

One further thought on my part,was to go for something like the Oberwerk 20x65ED's and put them on the Oberwerk Monopod.....Less expensive and a pretty good fit in my stable.

Any helpful advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 Bosco

Bosco

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bilbao(Spain)

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:24 AM

Hi Mark,

I would not buy at all a BT on aliexpress.

My experience with these binoculars (specifically with APM) is that there are quality control issues with units from an optical quality point of view, so buy only to reliable vendors (APM, astroshop, teleskopexpress, Oberwerk...)

APM gives an alignment certificate for 100 models but this certificate only accounts for tube alignment and in reality not for optical aberrations (Markus told me they are working to improve this QC)
So is APM a good option? In my opinion yes, but you will need to ckeck the binoculars and ensure you got a good unit and ask for a replacement unit in case of not getting a good one.

Some Folks talk very good about Oberwerk and their post-purchase service. Oberwerk states that each binocular is checked after being sent to ensure proper quality, and they have a very good price for 82 model (with ED glass) vs Orion which is NOT an ED glass

https://www.oberwerk...scope-grey.html

IMO, the disadvantage of Oberwerk binos is that they only are available in 45° configuration so they are not as optimized for astronomy as the 90° models. But this is a personal preference and you may not dislike 45° BTs

Best

Edited by Bosco, 02 December 2021 - 03:25 AM.

#3 Mark Y.

Mark Y.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 03:29 AM

Much thanks for the infosmile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics