•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Kowa TSN 99 has been released!

Astrophotography Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saidentary

saidentary

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:10 PM

Kowa has recently introduced the TSN 99.  I own the TSN 884 with the TE-11WZ eyepiece and its optics (for terrestrial viewing, at least) approach perfection.  It's so good that people have used it for astronomy. It is said to outperfom other spotting scopes with front lenses as large as 100 mm, and I don't doubt it.  Now they've come out with the TSN-99.  This thing must be utterly spectacular. 

So.....does anyone own one of these or have any experience with it????  

• Castor likes this

#2 saidentary

saidentary

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:48 PM

Well, don't everybody answer at once! smile.gif

Anyhow, watching a video by Kowa suggests to me that the main differences between the TSN 99 and the older TSN 883/4 models are as follows:

1) Better viewing in very low light conditions;

2) Slight increase in magnification;

3) Some enhancements to lens coatings, the use of a better "secondary" lens in conjunction with the "primary" fluorite crystal lens, and the placement of filter threads on the body of the scope itself instead of inside the lens hood--this means that when the lens hood is extended the outermost filter stays shielded by the hood (i.e. stationary) rather than moving with the lens hood and thereby remaining unshielded from solar glare.

So they appear to be pretty close, with enhanced low light viewing and slightly increased magnification.

That said, I'd still love to get a chance to look through one of these TSN-99 scopes.

Edited by saidentary, 07 December 2021 - 09:49 PM.

• Castor likes this

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:55 PM

I would not use any instrument for astronomy if it has 45 degree prisms.  They need to be 90 degree.  That's why I don't like spotting scopes for astronomy.  They might be great for birding, but not astronomy.  YMMV

Mike

• saidentary likes this

#4 saidentary

saidentary

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:12 PM

I would not use any instrument for astronomy if it has 45 degree prisms.  They need to be 90 degree.  That's why I don't like spotting scopes for astronomy.  They might be great for birding, but not astronomy.  YMMV

Mike

Fair enough. The original point was that the optics are so good that some people have done just that, but my knowledge of the subject ends (abruptly) there. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics