•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM70 vs CEM60 Payload Capacity

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Poynting

Poynting

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 03 December 2021 - 12:58 PM

Marketing aside, has anyone used both and if so does the CEM70 seem to be more capable of holding a heavier load? I have a 40 lb payload I run on a CEM60 which does ok, just wondering if the CEM70 is literally 10 lbs more capable or not.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:23 PM

There are no standards for weight ratings, they're whatever the manufacturer wants to claim.

The CEM70 is a better mount than the CEM60 (which I too own) in all regards, price is an excellent marker of mount quality.  The difference is not _remotely_ "marketing".  Whether or not the difference is "worth it" is a purely personal decision.  I've decided to stick with the 60.

#3 LouB

LouB

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:09 PM

I have the same question. 

Currently i use an Orion atlas mount for my C11 with guide scope and camera.  It's overloaded. 

I have been considering the EQ6-R Pro, and the CEM70.  Price is a consideration, but not everything.

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 03 December 2021 - 10:54 PM

Currently i use an Orion atlas mount for my C11 with guide scope and camera.  It's overloaded. 

I have been considering the EQ6-R Pro, and the CEM70.  Price is a consideration, but not everything.

Those two mounts bat in different leagues.  The EQ6-R is a bargain, but it's not _that_ much of a bargain.

Note also that, if that's an ordinary C11, it really needs an off axis guider.  Google "mirror shift".

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:34 AM

I think it will simply because it's the result of another 7 years of mount development on the part of iOptron. My 120 is built like a tank and I've seen the results that people get with close to 100 pounds on that mount. You might want to look around on astrobin and see if there are some nice shots with a C11 and the 70. 

Frankly, I doubt you'll see any good long exposures if they aren't taken using an OAG. It's more than mirror flop, IMO.

Rgrds-Ross

• bobzeq25 likes this

#6 DuncanM

DuncanM

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona Sky Village or the rain forest

Posted 04 December 2021 - 03:53 AM

The EQ6-R is a modernized Atlas, with about the same payload capacity (I have owned both).  My CEM60, on a permanent pier handles a Meade 10in SCT, guidescope, OAG and camera with no problems. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#7 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:51 AM

I owned both the cem60 and cem 70 and ran them side by side. In my experience the cem60 was a slightly better performer but they were very similar. I don't think the 70 will give you a better experience than your 60.

Of course the real problem with iOptron is that there can be a lot of copy variation between the mounts, so if you have a poor cwm60 and get a good cem70 it could be a big improvement. Conversely it could be a step down.
  • Poynting and RaulTheRat like this

#8 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:55 AM

I owned both the cem60 and cem 70 and ran them side by side. In my experience the cem60 was a slightly better performer but they were very similar. I don't think the 70 will give you a better experience than your 60.

Of course the real problem with iOptron is that there can be a lot of copy variation between the mounts, so if you have a poor cwm60 and get a good cem70 it could be a big improvement. Conversely it could be a step down.

Variability is pretty much a factor with mounts in a particular price category, rather than being brand specific.  AVX variability makes CEM60 variability look small.  I'm not suggesting that's a Celestron deal.  <smile>  AP mounts are quite consistent, there are no cheap APs.

It can also be a "newness" factor.  New models of mounts tend to achieve greater consistency over time.  I waited to purchase my CEM60 until things had settled down from the launch.

Edited by bobzeq25, 05 December 2021 - 10:00 AM.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#9 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 10:57 AM

Variability is pretty much a factor with mounts in a particular price category, rather than being brand specific.  AVX variability makes CEM60 variability look small.  I'm not suggesting that's a Celestron deal.  <smile>  AP mounts are quite consistent, there are no cheap APs.

It can also be a "newness" factor.  New models of mounts tend to achieve greater consistency over time.  I waited to purchase my CEM60 until things had settled down from the launch.

Good point.  Copy variability is certainly not only an iOptron issue (or exclusively a mount issue for that matter).  It does seem that there is less variability with SW mounts.  I've never owned one but I almost never see posts where people are dealing with QC issues.  It seems that they are all consistently adequate performers.  You can correct me if I'm wrong...

That said, I much prefer the CEM design over the GEM design in this price range. 

Edited by ChrisWhite, 05 December 2021 - 10:57 AM.

#10 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:31 PM

I had thesame thinking. If bought my CEM60 very late, the CEM70 was then allready announced. But i saw no advantages in the CEM70 and indeed new models tend to suffer from 'childdeseases'. Just like cars, it is not the best idea to buy a new model of a car, better wait a bit until it settles down...imho

• Poynting, bobzeq25, RaulTheRat and 1 other like this

#11 RaulTheRat

RaulTheRat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 January 2022 - 05:01 PM

Yeah I call nonsense as well. It's just a name. Can the 60 carry 60lbs? Maybe, if you got a good one, if it's not windy. Can either carry 70? Same answer.

#12 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 07 January 2022 - 10:57 AM

Weight seems always overrated....

I put a 10,3 kg scope on a CEM60, together with a guide scope , DSLR, FF, guess maybe about 13kg in total 28 lbs, it feels enough ...one has to consider the length of the scope too...it is an 130 mm F/7

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics