•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unwanted Registax artifacts - are they avoidable?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brisguy

brisguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 03 December 2021 - 01:38 PM

I have noticed artifacts that are quite apparent on Moon images (see attached). I used AutoStakkert to produce a TIF image from a SER sequence and afterwards sharpen it with Registax. This workflow seems to work fine for smaller planets, but on Moon images, four magenta rectangles are apparent. They always show up in the same spots.

Can these be avoided?

Attached Thumbnails

• big moon colbal shp enh.jpg

Edited by brisguy, 03 December 2021 - 01:39 PM.

#2 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:37 PM

Need more information. What are your AS settings? Post a screen shot of both windows after AP placement, please.

#3 brisguy

brisguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:32 PM

This has nothing to do with AS. As proof, I extracted a single image from the SER sequence and opened it in Registax. After adjusting the color balance and sharpening, the image has the same sort of artifacts. They seem to appear at the boundaries of the blocks that Registax uses when running 'Do All'. See attached. In this case there are multiple miscolored rectangles.

Attached Thumbnails

• Big moon_00001_pipp_F_colbal shp.jpg

#4 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:38 PM

Are you sure it's not a camera artifact then?

#5 brisguy

brisguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:43 PM

Here is the same image as the one just posted. Processed in Registax to correct color balance only - no sharpening.

Attached Thumbnails

• Big moon_00001_pipp_F_colbal only.jpg

#6 brisguy

brisguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2021 - 05:59 PM

Given the silence on this issue, I guess the answer is that these are normal, which is a shame. I won't be able to use the software.

#7 sc285

sc285

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:24 PM

I have only encountered artifacts like this when dust has been involved on the sensor, barlow, or a focal reducer.

I have never had Registax add spots like this. I would suggest what Borodog said...check all optics for dust first.

#8 brisguy

brisguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:33 AM

>I have never had Registax add spots like this.

Nor have I. I was not talking about the spots, which unfortunately are on the sensor. As I said in my original post: "on Moon images, four magenta rectangles are apparent". If you cannot see them in the attached pics I can try enhancing them.

#9 Porkkala

Porkkala

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:32 AM

I can see the magenta rectangles. I've never seen anything like it in my images. If you extract a single frame from the SER and open it in another SW (Lightroom, PS etc) the boxes are not there, right? My first guess is that there is a SW glitch in Registax. Try re-installing.

#10 sc285

sc285

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:35 PM

okay...after I clicked on the image to show the larger image I see the magenta banding.

Since I am not familiar with the characteristics of the camera you are using, I have no idea what would be causing this.

Color images are a whole different beast from mono images when processing.

Color always has stuff like debayering, using the correct RGGB scheme, and other things I don't mess with.

I always shoot the moon in mono, so I don't have to deal with that kind of stuff cropping up.

Unless you want/have to shoot the moon in color (it is very subtle), try using mono (if you can) and

see if the results are the same.

• brisguy likes this

#11 brisguy

brisguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:30 PM

>try using mono

I don't have a mono sensor, but tried a test where I converted the image to grayscale (using Gimp) before sharpening in Registax and there were no artifacts. I also tried processing the color image on a different PC using a separate install of Registax and got the same problem as before, so I guess you can't use it with color images (at least not of the moon).

Thanks for the tip! 

#12 sc285

sc285

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:57 PM

Maybe something in this video will help with your color processing and eliminate the artifacts:

https://www.youtube....SPBePwLk&t=639s

• brisguy likes this

#13 brisguy

brisguy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for the video link. I did learn some things from it. Note that Registax works fine for planet images that are smaller than the 'processing window'. Moon images will normally be larger and that is when the problems occur. You can see the progress of the processing after hitting 'Do All' and it takes place in blocks. For some reason, with a color image, the blocks do not perfectly overlap and leave 'seams' at those places. I did try changing the processing window size, but it had no effect (on the processing window size or on the artifacts)

#14 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:47 PM

Ok. I don't use Registax much anymore, but not because of this. I think the silence you received is not because this is common, but because nobody has ever seen this before and doesn't know what to tell you. The only thing I can think of is to delete R6 and download a fresh copy.

• Sarciness likes this

#15 JMP

JMP

Apollo

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:34 PM

I had this problem with a drizzled (enlarged) image of Jupiter. Yes it's a real problem.
  • brisguy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics