•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Glass Solar Filters

Filters Solar
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mhtelescoper

mhtelescoper

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:49 PM

I recently switched from a 8" Dob to a 11" SCT.  I have an Orion Glass Solar Filter for my 8" Dob that I thought works pretty well.  I'd like to get one for the SCT, and am wondering if there are any recommendations.  

I've looked at the Orion Glass Filter, which i assume is the same as the 8" filter I have only bigger.  I also found a company Thousand Oaks Optical that makes full apertures Glass solar filters, which come with a 15-year warranty.

Not sure if there others out there (that will fit my Celestron C11) that I should consider.

Thanks!

-Matt

#2 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Cosmos

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 December 2021 - 02:51 PM

Hi Matt,

They're not optically flat, so they're the last thing I'd put in front of a large aperture since it's destroying the resolution essentially. They're cheap for a reason.

Baader Solar Film would do the job, retain all the resolution and keep high contrast at any aperture you want. It's also essentially as durable as glass, believe it or not.

Very best,

• bobhen likes this

#3 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:02 PM

I second Marty's comments.  A Baader solar film filter will give better results and if used and kept carefully will last a considerable time.  In the worst case scenario, damaged or otherwise spoiled you can replace it several times within the cost of a glass filter.  The only advantage I've found with a glass filter is that it can be cleaned easily if necessary.

#4 mhtelescoper

mhtelescoper

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the responses - this is interesting.  As I look closer at the description of the Thousand Oaks, it indeed says it is film and is not glass:

https://thousandoaks...re-solarlite/  

I wonder how that compares to the Baader Safety Film. 

So far I've only found the Baader Safety film in 5.5 x 6 sheets.  How do you safely and securely attach the film on an 11" SCT?

• SgrB2 likes this

#5 SgrB2

SgrB2

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ellicott City, MD

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the responses - this is interesting.  As I look closer at the description of the Thousand Oaks, it indeed says it is film and is not glass:

https://thousandoaks...re-solarlite/  

I wonder how that compares to the Baader Safety Film. 

So far I've only found the Baader Safety film in 5.5 x 6 sheets.  How do you safely and securely attach the film on an 11" SCT?

https://www.kendrick...withSolarFinder

Cheers,

SgrB2

• viewer likes this

#6 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:07 PM

I have filters with both the Baader and the Thousand Oaks.  The Baader presents more detail, no question.  You can buy it in sheets and make your own filter pretty easily.  Baader provides instructions for doing it when you buy the film.  Personally, I never use anything larger than my 6" SCT for white light, the seeing here just doesn't support higher resolution provided by larger aperture.  Even the 6" is overkill here.

#7 vtornado

vtornado

Aurora

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:12 PM

I had a glass and a baader film filter, both for a 4 inch refractor.

In my samples the baader film was sharper.

VT.

#8 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 December 2021 - 07:53 AM

I use Baader solar film on my C11 in New York and Connecticut. Most of the time, it is overkill and blurry due to seeing at the powers you usually use in a C11. But when seeing happens to be great, you can see incredible detail in sunspots, even detail that is usually missing from nice images. And of course granulation, faculae, etc.

Given the investment if you already own the C11 and mount, less the $100 and I made my own cell, for me it was worth it for special days. Due to being busy at work, that is only a couple of times per year, but if I had a more convenient set up, I think it would be useful about 10% of clear days from where I observe. (By useful, I mean shows more detail than my refractor. If the C11 were my only scope, then it would be useful every clear day.)

George

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Filters, Solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics