•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Registax 6 Freezes When I hit ALIGN

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MessyA

MessyA

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:38 PM

Pretty new to imaging and have hit a snag. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Gear used:

8"SCT

ZWO ASI485

Good laptop running Sharpcap

Excellent desktop PC with 32ghz memory for all processing (Registax 6, Photoshop, etc)

I captured 1 minute of Jupiter as an AVI file, I opened it in Registax 6. It lets me set alignment points but as soon as I hit ALIGN, the display turns white and it freezes/crashes.

I've tried several times. It has no problem opening the video file or letting me adjust parameters and setting alignment points, but the ALIGN button kills it.

I can open the same file in Autostakkert but I really like Registax work flow and Wavelet processing. 

What am I missing??

Pete

#2 rblackadar

rblackadar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

After processing in AS3, you can run the result through RS6 wavelets to sharpen it. That's a pretty standard technique. (You can sharpen in AS3 too but don't try to use the sharpened file as input to RS6.)

Dunno what could be causing trouble with Align. It's pretty old software.

Edited by rblackadar, 03 December 2021 - 03:47 PM.

#3 rblackadar

rblackadar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northern California (Mt. Tam)

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:53 PM

One additional thought -- if the video is really jumpy, I've had trouble with both AS3 and RS6 hanging on the really bad parts. I've found these bad videos can usually be rescued by running them through PIPP first.

#4 phileefan

phileefan

Viking 1

• Loc: Williamsport, PA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:48 PM

Pretty new to imaging and have hit a snag. Any suggestions are most welcome.

Gear used:

8"SCT

ZWO ASI485

Good laptop running Sharpcap

Excellent desktop PC with 32ghz memory for all processing (Registax 6, Photoshop, etc)

I captured 1 minute of Jupiter as an AVI file, I opened it in Registax 6. It lets me set alignment points but as soon as I hit ALIGN, the display turns white and it freezes/crashes.

I've tried several times. It has no problem opening the video file or letting me adjust parameters and setting alignment points, but the ALIGN button kills it.

I can open the same file in Autostakkert but I really like Registax work flow and Wavelet processing. 

What am I missing??

Pete

Pete,

You're not doing anything wrong. It's outdated by todays standards. Most people here use AuoStakkert for aligning and stacking then use Registax for wavelet sharpening. Hope this helps....................

Mick

• mrlovt likes this

#5 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:00 PM

Some folks are now using Astrosurface for both stacking and wavelets as well as some image processing. The interface is a little complicated for my taste and have only played with it a little. I too recommend AS!3 for stacking followed by R6 for wavelets. I only use PIPP to make .gif videos.

#6 MessyA

MessyA

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 04 December 2021 - 02:27 PM

Lots to learn.  Last night in my light polluted skies in front of my house I did a quickie Jupiter video and, as suggested here, used AS!3 to stack and RS6 to use the Wavelet function. Even as a first attempt I got more detail than using my Naglers visually, so I'm excited.

I guess the camera was not positioned correctly horizontally as the final image was kind of tilted. I'll have to be more careful when screwing the camera onto the scope.

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter 12-2-21.jpg

Edited by MessyA, 04 December 2021 - 02:28 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics