•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sharpstar 94edph

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dmurad

dmurad

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

I have an Orion ED 80 that is about 7 years old. 600 mm f/7. Looking to upgrade to a Sharpstar 94edph.

The Orion has been a trusty instrument - used for annular eclipse in 2012, numerous lunar eclipses and solar eclipse of 2017

Any thoughts on the Sharpstar or similar scope ?  Plenty of time  to decide - everything is on back order or out of stock right now.

Thanks for your time

#2 Mark Lovik

Mark Lovik

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 04:08 PM

Do you have specific reasons to select the 94mm scope?  It's fairly close to your current refractor and sounds like it would be a good replacement to your existing scope. You could also consider keeping your current scope and getting a complimentary mid-sized refractor.  There is a huge marketplace selection in the 100-125mm range.

I have an AT72EDii (very nice doublet) and decided to get a complimentary scope that was bigger but would fit my existing mount (and back).  My updated scope is an AT115EDT triplet.  I use both heavily for visual and EAA.  From a phone conversation with Astrotech ... they may have some scopes available in the near future (and in your aperture range).

Are you looking for:

• Better optics and scope refinement?
  • A replacement for your current scope?
  • A compliment for your current scope?

And what is the intended targets (planetary or DSOs)?

What is your intended use (visual, EAA, astrophotography)?

#3 dmurad

dmurad

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:32 PM

I would use the new scope for both visual and mostly imaging (DSO)

Maybe better optics and lower f

I would consider keeping the old scope but I could also sell it at some later date. It has been a good visual scope.

#4 gzljh96

gzljh96

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2021 - 08:24 PM

I suppose there really aren’t any reasons against the sharpstar, other than there are other choices in the field. The WO FLT91, TS CF-APO 90, StellarMira 90 all have the same and apparently excellent objective lens. Sharpstar also make the ASKAR FRA500 which is of similar size. There are many good 4” refractors if you can your mount can handle it.

Then you can also consider getting a used scope if you can find one, and there will be even more choices.

#5 dmurad

dmurad

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I will check out the other scopes you mentioned

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics