•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

No more telescope

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Stephens City, VA

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:03 PM

For the first time since I was 15, I am without a telescope.

#2 HoundDog

HoundDog

Cosmos

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:08 PM

I am sure there is a good reason why you are without a telescope. You know what's best for you at this time. 

#3 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:13 PM

More whats best for my telescope. It was getting lonely.

#4 MikeTahtib

MikeTahtib

Apollo

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:17 PM

What happened, brother?  Lost interest, health problems, other commitments?

#5 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:24 PM

Are there 12 steps for that?  I'll loan you mine from time to time.

#6 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:27 PM

Well, I'm sure you'll have another sometime soon.

#7 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:47 PM

What happened, brother? Lost interest, health problems, other commitments?

Mostly loss of interest, but the weight of all the pieces needed to put it together, the complexity of the goto mount and the limited number of decent observing nights finally piled up.

#8 Oddyse

Oddyse

Lift Off

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:55 PM

It's an addiction. It's a craving. It's phallic. It's womb awareness. God is there. You'll be back. 

• George N likes this

#9 betacygni

betacygni

Messenger

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:17 PM

Sounds like you’re a good candidate for a solar h-Apha scope. That has opened up my observing world being evening time crunched most days. Or, maybe a nice grab and go quick peek/day spotter option.

Either way the universe will still be there if (when) you come back. Enjoy the break!
  • bierbelly likes this

#10 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:21 PM

Eighteen years, based on your CN join date. Well... that's longer than most patents or marriages. Did you just sorta drift apart... or is there another telescope?!  I've heard that "some guys" keep more than one telescope, one at home, and one on the other side of town, greener yard, or in the office. I'm not suggesting that, just observing.    Tom

• kiwisailor, George N, Waldemar and 2 others like this

#11 Spikey131

Spikey131

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:19 PM

Take a big blanket to a dark site.  Stretch yourself out on it and look up.  You don’t need a telescope.

• mrlovt and MikeTahtib like this

#12 kiwisailor

kiwisailor

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lyttelton, New Zealand

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:21 PM

23rd Jan 2004, you short timerlol.gif I've got two weeks on youlol.gif  Binos, or go H-Apha, lots of options for keeping ya hand in without hoisting Lbs of gear around.waytogo.gif 

#13 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: Right brain, Left Coast

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:28 PM

Zero gravity chair, a blanket , a thermos of tea. Who needs a telescope.

#14 grif 678

grif 678

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NC

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:42 PM

Hi

Get you a 90ETX, find a small unitron 114 mount, and you will have a set up that can be ready to go out with you any time you decide to use it. You can place away in a small place, never in the way. So light, keep a big zip lock bag around the OTA, never have to worry about dust. Get a 13mm wide angle eyepiece and keep it in the scope. You will never have to worry about putting anything together, the 90ETX will show you plenty of detail on the planets. This can be carried out by anyone with just one hand so easily, and be viewing in 30 seconds with the easy to use altaz mount. The best and most user friendly set up I have ever owned.

• Farmguy likes this

#15 kbastro

kbastro

Apollo

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:25 PM

you must still have some astro interest otherwise you wouldn't be on CN,,, everyone goes through a withdrawal and some many times

k

#16 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:10 AM

Zero gravity chair, a blanket , a thermos of tea. Who needs a telescope.

and a pair of handheld binoculars for sky and terrestrial use

edj

#17 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:27 AM

Mostly loss of interest, but the weight of all the pieces needed to put it together, the complexity of the goto mount and the limited number of decent observing nights finally piled up.

My hat is off to you.   You know when to say when.   Weight  is the reason for me giving my C14 away.  Donated it to the school for the kids.  I have other scopes, just tired of pushing that heavy tube around.   Any other hobbies you are thinking about???             Joe

#18 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:44 AM

My hat is off to you.   You know when to say when.   Weight  is the reason for me giving my C14 away.  Donated it to the school for the kids.  I have other scopes, just tired of pushing that heavy tube around.   Any other hobbies you are thinking about???             Joe

Most astronomy equipment donated to schools either sits in a closet gathering dust, is damaged by moving around or misuse, or is eventually stolen.   Usually, there is no staff member knowledgeable enough to make use of it, and not much accountability.  Your choice, but I would never do that.  Donating to an astronomy club, or to a younger dedicated observer, is probably better. But, as I said, to each his own.

• Waldemar likes this

#19 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:50 AM

Sounds like a Vespera is in your future

#20 GSBass

GSBass

Gemini

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:58 AM

I think your right… if you don’t have children or a neighbor in to the hobby I think it would be pretty easy to read post on cloudynights or other forums and find someone heavily in to the hobby but held back by economic means. That would be a noble was to get rid of unused equipment.

Most astronomy equipment donated to schools either sits in a closet gathering dust, is damaged by moving around or misuse, or is eventually stolen.   Usually, there is no staff member knowledgeable enough to make use of it, and not much accountability.  Your choice, but I would never do that.  Donating to an astronomy club, or to a younger dedicated observer, is probably better. But, as I said, to each his own.

• kiwisailor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics