•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky-Watcher Virtuoso 90mm f/13.9 Maksutov-Cassegrain not tracking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rrrccc57

rrrccc57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:22 PM

Hello, 

First I am a noob.

I purchased a Sky-Watcher Virtuoso 90mm f/13.9 Maksutov-Cassegrain in March of 2021 and am just getting started with it. Yes it sat around for a while; I had other things on my plate. I did assemble it and played with it a little but I seem to be having tracking issues, that is, it doesn't seem to be tracking at all. 

I did the preliminary setup and the mount seems to slew fine but doesn't seem to move at all when "tracking".

I replaced the batteries more than once but it just doesn't seem to do anything. As a test I set it up in my living room, leveled it, pointed it north and just turned it on. I expected to see a noticeable position change, I waited an hour... nothing. The lights flash and the beeps beep but it doesn't move/track. The mechanics seem to be fine in that I can slew with the keypad buttons, alt/az up, down, left, right.

Is there something that I'm missing? 

Thanks in advance

RC

Edited by rrrccc57, 03 December 2021 - 05:34 PM.

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:35 PM

You WON'T notice any movement whatsoever,  unless you look through the eyepiece! It tracks THAT slowly,  as it is supposed to!

It takes 24 hours(!) just to make one full Revolution.  I believe your Owner's Manual explains all this.

#3 rrrccc57

rrrccc57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:18 PM

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. It's possible I wasn't completely clear in my original post. I understand tracking would be very slow. Perhaps a review of how I got here is in order. 

how I got here

I had the mount and telescope out the other night and centered on Jupiter; within a couple minutes Jupiter was no longer in view and had to be re-centered. This happened repeatedly. This is what lead me to believe it was not tracking and gave me the idea for my "blind" test. I figured given an hour the mount would move a a noticeable amount and it did not move at all. I confirmed this with a level and compass.   

Again, thanks for your input. 

Regards

RC

Edited by rrrccc57, 03 December 2021 - 08:06 PM.

#4 drd715

drd715

Apollo

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:56 AM

I suspect that you need to read the manual for operations of this mount.  I did notice the advertising text saying "you can turn off the automatic tracking with a single key stroke "  .  My thoughts are that you have to turn on the tracking.  A thorough reading of the setup instructions may solve your difficulties.  

#5 rrrccc57

rrrccc57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:54 AM

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. I have thoroughly reviewed the manual. The manual reads

When you turn on the mount, the tracking feature is automatically activated so you can track celestial
objects immediately.  To let you know that the feature is operating, the keypad lights will blink twice and
the mount will give two short beeps every few seconds. The tracking function can be turned off by simultaneously pressing the buttons “1/a” and “2/b.” If tracking
is off, the button’s backlight will flash only once and the beeps will be turned off.

The mount/telescope is giving "two short beeps every few seconds"  so I presume the mount thinks it is tracking.

I have sent an email to SkyWatcher support and will update when i get a reply.

Regards

RC 

Edited by rrrccc57, 04 December 2021 - 11:46 AM.

#6 rrrccc57

rrrccc57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2021 - 01:25 PM

Hello, 

Update from original poster... problem solved, probably a DFUE! 

I ordered a WiFi adapter a few days ago and using the SynScan Android app all is well... at least the mount/scope is tracking/moving on it's own! Again I verified with a compass and level and I have a better understanding of what's going on. 

FYI, the problem may have been I was pretty much set on Polaris, home/power on position which is level true north, manually slew alt to about 45 degrees... presto, on Polaris, which of course doesn't move much for tracking!

Thanks for the input and responses

Regards

RC

Edited by rrrccc57, 04 December 2021 - 05:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics