•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

RE: Nexstar 8SE mount and tripod

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mystiqz

Mystiqz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:35 PM

Hi.  I was just curious what do you guys recommend for mount and tripod for the 8SE?   Are the mounts compatible with photography tripods like gitzo?  I'd appreciate the help and guidance.  Thanks in advance.

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:40 PM

Hello, and Welcome to Cloudy Nights!  We're glad to have you join us.  Your thread will be moved to the Celestron forum for a better fit of topic, and for you to receive more help.

#3 jesse 3

jesse 3

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2021 - 05:58 PM

I mounted 6SE on Manfrotto MVH502AH Fluid Video Head. Manfrotto plate can be screwed onto 6SE plate. For zenith viewing, watch out for tripod stability.

#4 Mystiqz

Mystiqz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:11 PM

I mounted 6SE on Manfrotto MVH502AH Fluid Video Head. Manfrotto plate can be screwed onto 6SE plate. For zenith viewing, watch out for tripod stability.

interesting, that's good to know.  thanks

#5 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 03 December 2021 - 06:40 PM

The Model "8SE" Includes the SE Mount and Tripod.  If you just have the OTA (the scope by itself---Optical Tube Assembly), then you have a C8, which is ANY Celestron 8 inch SCT.  They have different paint sizes, but they're all C8's. 

• ShaulaB likes this

#6 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast PA, 10mi north of Philadelphia

Posted 03 December 2021 - 07:01 PM

I have tested a variety of Manfrotto photo tripods in the class rated for 26 pounds capacity.  There is no way a C8 will be stable on any of them.

models tested:

475b

• ShaulaB likes this

#7 Mystiqz

Mystiqz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:01 PM

what mount and tripod do you use?

I have tested a variety of Manfrotto photo tripods in the class rated for 26 pounds capacity.  There is no way a C8 will be stable on any of them.

models tested:

475b

#8 Mystiqz

Mystiqz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:02 PM

i only have the telescope itself so looking to see what my options are for mount and tripod or should i just get what celestron has on their website.

The Model "8SE" Includes the SE Mount and Tripod.  If you just have the OTA (the scope by itself---Optical Tube Assembly), then you have a C8, which is ANY Celestron 8 inch SCT.  They have different paint sizes, but they're all C8's. 

#9 firemachine69

firemachine69

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:04 PM

I have a Skywatcher AZ5 mount with the larger 1.75" legs. It in no way is capable of supporting the 8SE, unless you run only very light 1.25" eyepieces/1.25" visual back with a near zero weight red dot. Just too heavy and too long of a focal length.

Honestly, your best option is to sell the optical tube and buy something else. There's not much that can handle that size scope before you need relatively hefty moneys. The only exception to that would be the Celestron AVX, which is a german equatorial mount, and require polar alignment before each session (on top of the star alignment procedure).

Edited by firemachine69, 06 December 2021 - 08:06 PM.

#10 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:15 PM

i only have the telescope itself so looking to see what my options are for mount and tripod or should i just get what celestron has on their website.

Your 8SE OTA has a Vixen style dovetail bar attached to it.  So, without ANY changes, expense,  modifications or alterations,  you can use ANY mount, from ANY manufacturer,  Equatorial or Alt-Az,  Powered, Computerized,  or Manual,  just as long as it has a Vixen style 'saddle'------- this is the part on the mount to which the Dovetail Bar on your scope attaches.  You are in NO WAY limited to just Celestron!

Dovetail Bars and Saddles are fairly standardized in amateur astronomy.   Losmandy,  or D-style is wider, for larger scopes and astrophotography; Vixen, or V-style, are most common on scopes , up to 9 and 10 inch SCT'S,  that are mostly for visual use. And that's basically it!

Edited by Bean614, 06 December 2021 - 08:16 PM.

• ShaulaB and cookjaiii like this

#11 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:32 PM

I have a Skywatcher AZ5 mount with the larger 1.75" legs. It in no way is capable of supporting the 8SE, unless you run only very light 1.25" eyepieces/1.25" visual back with a near zero weight red dot. Just too heavy and too long of a focal length.

Honestly, your best option is to sell the optical tube and buy something else. There's not much that can handle that size scope before you need relatively hefty moneys. The only exception to that would be the Celestron AVX, which is a german equatorial mount, and require polar alignment before each session (on top of the star alignment procedure).

Seriously?  First, for Visual only,  the AZ5 is just fine for the Compact dimensions of an 8 inch SCT---- very short moment arm!

Next, you said "Honestly, your best option is to sell the optical tube and buy something else. There's not much that can handle that size scope before you need relatively hefty moneys. The only exception to that would be the Celestron AVX,"

That would be Incorrect.  Perfect, inexpensive mounts would be the SE or an Evolution, several Meade LS mounts, Orion's StarSeeker mounts.  And those are just the Alt-Az GoTo mounts! Then for Equatorial GoTo Mounts, we have the AVX, EQ5, Orion's Sirius, ES Exos.  Manual Alt-Az include ES Twilight1, Orion Versago, and Vixen Porta.

The 8SE OTA is a NICE scope, which he ALREADY owns.  He just needs a mount and tripod, and he has plenty of pretty good choices!

To Mysticz---- don't sell your scope! 

• ShaulaB likes this

#12 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:58 PM

I've used my C8 on an SE mount - iffy

Evolution mount - much better.

Astro-tech single arm alt-az manual mount - so-so

Losmandy Al-Az heavy duty manual mount - worked very well (mount works very well with every scope I have with some jitters on the larger refractors. SCT are a piece of cake).

I like manual mounts for causal looking (mainly with a refractor to avoid the cool down problems) but you could easily pick up a used Evolution mount in our Classifieds (just not available all the time - gotta wait!). Heads up, there are two types of Evolution mounts: Those that take a Vixen style mounting bar, and those that take a Losmandy mounting plate (much wider, more robust better for larger heavier scopes). Not a deal breaker as you can get the proper mounting bar for your scope after the fact.

German Equatorial Mounts will work too, just be sure to get a big enough one - a C8 will not stress most of them, but there are smaller cheaper ones I'd avoid. Just too cheap. You can buy too much mount and then it's so heavy you won't be willing to drag it out that often. Hence my attraction to those single armed alt-az mounts.

Now manual mounts can be an acquired taste since at F/10 it will be a bit more difficult to navigate to objects of interest (faster wide field scopes excel at this); but a nice finder will be a huge help.

So, lots of choices.You have a very good scope to start with - have some fun! Welcome to Cloudy Nights too!

#13 cookjaiii

cookjaiii

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast PA, 10mi north of Philadelphia

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:22 PM

what mount and tripod do you use?

I don't know the model of tripod because it came bundled with a large purchase of used equipment and it isn't labeled.  It's definitely an astro tripod and think it originally came with a Meade LX55 mount.  It has two-inch diameter legs.

The mount is a Stellarvue M2 with an extension post.

A C8 is pretty stable on this combo, at least for visual use.

Edited by cookjaiii, 06 December 2021 - 09:25 PM.

#14 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:29 AM

I've used my C8 on an SE mount - iffy

Evolution mount - much better.

Astro-tech single arm alt-az manual mount - so-so

Losmandy Al-Az heavy duty manual mount - worked very well (mount works very well with every scope I have with some jitters on the larger refractors. SCT are a piece of cake).

I like manual mounts for causal looking (mainly with a refractor to avoid the cool down problems) but you could easily pick up a used Evolution mount in our Classifieds (just not available all the time - gotta wait!). Heads up, there are two types of Evolution mounts: Those that take a Vixen style mounting bar, and those that take a Losmandy mounting plate (much wider, more robust better for larger heavier scopes). Not a deal breaker as you can get the proper mounting bar for your scope after the fact.

German Equatorial Mounts will work too, just be sure to get a big enough one - a C8 will not stress most of them, but there are smaller cheaper ones I'd avoid. Just too cheap. You can buy too much mount and then it's so heavy you won't be willing to drag it out that often. Hence my attraction to those single armed alt-az mounts.

Now manual mounts can be an acquired taste since at F/10 it will be a bit more difficult to navigate to objects of interest (faster wide field scopes excel at this); but a nice finder will be a huge help.

So, lots of choices.You have a very good scope to start with - have some fun! Welcome to Cloudy Nights too!

"Heads up, there are two types of Evolution mounts: Those that take a Vixen style mounting bar, and those that take a Losmandy mounting plate".....?

Really?  Could you please point out to me where that particular 'stock' Evo Mount, (from the Celestron Factory) can be purchased???

There has ALWAYS been a 'Heavy Duty/CPC Tripod' included with the 9.25 Evo, but the Evo Mount is the SAME for all 3 models--- 6, 8, 9.25.   I think Celestron would be aware if they made a 'D'/Losmandy-style saddle, but they aren't.

Edited by Bean614, 07 December 2021 - 06:51 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics