•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A downside to observing with contact lenses.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:05 PM

A few hours into Wednesday night's dark site session I began to wonder if others sometimes experienced what I was seeing - poor eyesight degrading the views. Shortly I realized my observing eye contact lens (semi-rigid gas permeable) had fallen out.  blink.png  That happens every year or so but had not been an observing issue. I'd long since stopped carrying a spare pair along on sessions. D'oh.

Having tried several times over the years to observe with my off eye didn't fill me with enthusiasm for the rest of the night's potential but exclusively using that eye actually worked out better than I feared. Averting vision to a different quadrant and, for some reason, maintaining the exit pupil in view were more difficult but it worked out in the end and the session's observations were not much effected.

I've been surprised more folks don't wear contact lenses to observe. Here's a reason for wearing glasses I recon.

Edited by havasman, 03 December 2021 - 08:06 PM.

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 03 December 2021 - 08:19 PM

I started wearing glasses in the 8th grade.  Worn glasses ever since.  Mu older sister switched from glasses to contacts in about 1968.  Hard ones back then.  Twice during her college years, she went to sleep studying and woke up the next morning and removed the contacts.  Peeled a layer of eyeball off both times.  I decided not to try contacts.  Have never regretted it.  So far, I have gotten along just fine removing my spectacles to view.  Astigmatism is definitely getting worse but cataracts are not bad enough to warrant lens replacement.  I wish they were!  Hang in there, brother 

• Jon Isaacs and havasman like this

#3 vio

vio

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:00 AM

I started using contacts about 25 years ago, mostly to replace glasses when doing sports, particularly climbing.

At the telescope, somewhat similar to night driving, I need to blink more often to keep the eyes/contacts moist. I got into the habit of bringing eye drops for cases where my eyes get tired/irritated. This is my preventive measure to contacts falling out or when I feel they’re about to be pushed off by my eyelids. For some reason, using my glasses at the telescope did not work well, and the numbers are high enough (combined with astigmatism) that not wearing any eye correction is not an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • apo130max likes this

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:48 AM

I've tried contacts several times, and I just do not like them.  Difficult to put in, and just as difficult to take out.  Much easier to put my glasses on/off.

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:26 AM

You can always have your eyes laser beamed.....it's a unique experience.

#6 esd726

esd726

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Kewanna, IN

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:46 PM

wore glasses/contacts for almost 25 years (very near sighted and good amount of astigmatism)  

Whether I wore my glasses or contacts that day, I would always go out with my contacts in. The were soft so never had the falling out problem.  Had lasik about 15 years ago. My eyes have always been incredibly dry, even now, but it’s so nice not having to worry about glasses (well, I DO take readers out now) or putting contacts in. 

Edited by esd726, 04 December 2021 - 04:47 PM.

#7 GoFish

GoFish

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 04 December 2021 - 05:00 PM

Love wearing contacts (actually, I only wear one) for most activities. But the lens gets dry at the eyepiece. Probably I don’t blink enough. So I usually pop out the contact lens for observing. 

Nowadays I buy two sets of glasses each time my prescription changes. One pair of progressives for everyday use, and one pair of “stargazing” lenses that have distance correction only. 

#8 brionl

brionl

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: California Bay Area

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:02 AM

Well, when I was in the US Army, I had that problem with my contacts looking through the telescopic sight on my M48A5 tank. When I fired the main gun, my contact popped out, fell down into the depths somewhere and was lost forever. They were disposables anyway, but I didn't have an extra one.

Of course a different time when I was wearing my glasses, the eyecup popped the lens out of my glasses too. Must have loosened up, but I was able to find it, and put it back in and tighten the screw.

I wore contacts for a long time, over 20 years, but eventually I had to give them up because my eyeballs started getting too much rheum and too much itchy.

These days, I just use my glasses when looking through a telescope.

#9 mrlovt

mrlovt

Viking 1

• Loc: Smyrna, TN

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:44 PM

You can always have your eyes laser beamed.....it's a unique experience.

I`ve thought about that many times, but get scared off when they talk about the potential side effects of halos and degraded night vision.  I wore contacts for about 25 years, but have been doing glasses only for the last couple years to give my eyes a break. I definitely prefer contacts at the telescope.

• DSOGabe likes this

#10 Dobs O Fun

Dobs O Fun

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 24 December 2021 - 06:48 PM

I started wearing contact lenses in high school. Started with hard for orthokeratomony (not sure of the spelling). Never had issues sleeping in them. Then to RGP then to soft lenses.

Never regretted wearing them. I hate wearing glasses. They fog up, you have to clean them.....etc.

Yes I have to wear readers but never had an issue observing through a telescope.

Edited by Dobs O Fun, 24 December 2021 - 06:48 PM.

#11 ButterFly

ButterFly

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 December 2021 - 02:45 PM

I tried contacts and didn't like them at night.  During the day, they are fine.

Torics for astigmatism.  I got used to blinking out the glare.  The window of the contacts is too small for my pupil.  I got terrible views with big exit pupils.  Without glasses in the way, my eyepieces also fog up in the cold.  My glasses shield the eye lens from my eyeball juice, and the rolled down cups don't trap the moister warmer air.  And then there was the eyelash grease on the eyepieces.  Wiping my glasses is just easier for me.  I'm back to glasses now, and will probably stay there until I get old enough for my pupils to not get so big.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics