•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Possible use of a 10" SCT with no corrector?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:01 AM

Greetings,
A friend of mine has found in his club a primary&secondary mirrors of a 10 inch SCT. He was told that the original correcting plate was broken long ago...
The intended use of these optics was to demonstrate the light path inside a telescope during public events. However, since the mirrors are in good shape I was wondering of the possibility of restoring the telescope for observations.
Is there a way of getting a corrector-plate for this purpose? is there any other way of eliminating the spherical abbarations (ie using some sort of lenses near the focal point , where usually a focal reducer or a barlow are used)? Is there a point of doing this at all? Does anyone have any othere idea for a practical use for these optics? :question:

Any input would be greatly appriciated,
Assaf.

#2 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 20 May 2004 - 10:42 AM

Assaf,
Vixen corrects the aberrations in their Cassegrain scopes with a multi-lens corrector in the primary baffle tube. Their secondaries are held in place with a normal, 4-vane, spider. I'm sure the design is proprietary, but an optical lab may be able to make a correcting lens that can attach to the back of the tube. Just bear in mind that a complete optical tube assembly can be had for ~$800, so if the manufacturing expenses exceed 50% of that, it may not be worth trying to make a telescope out of complete optics.
Don

#3 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 20 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

I curious?? What happens if you try to use it as is???
Does it come to focus??? I can think of a dozen experiements I would play around with using such a thing.

#4 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:25 PM

It will have severe spherical aberration. Only the centerpoint would be focusable, and that image wouldn't be good. The mirror could be reground as a parabola, but I wouldn't want to see the figure of an f/2 parabola. The optics you have must have some form of corrector.
Don

#5 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:12 PM

It will have severe spherical aberration. Only the centerpoint would be focusable, and that image wouldn't be good. The mirror could be reground as a parabola, but I wouldn't want to see the figure of an f/2 parabola. The optics you have must have some form of corrector.
Don

Interesting.... Sounds like a great candidate for I.R/ and Near I.R. work.... lol

I actually never though about what an SCT would do without it's corrector plate. before.

#6 Steven

Steven

Mariner 2

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:00 PM

Any ATM in the club ? It would be a great project to make your own corrector :cool:

#7 BluewaterObserva

BluewaterObserva

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:05 PM

I wonder what a refigure outfit, may charge to try to make it into a f/2 parabola??? That would be an ultra cool unique scope. Dang, if it was free, I'd have to give that a shot actually.... Maybe try a paracor on it or something even.

#8 wilash

wilash

Fairy Godmother

Posted 20 May 2004 - 07:34 PM

I would call the manufacturer and ask how much a new corrector would be. A SCT corrector is very difficult to make. You could also use the primary in a Newtonian configuration, but spherical abberation will be apparent.

Or find someone with a 10" SCT who broke the primary, but the corrector is OK.

Another use would be a flower pot. The hole at the rear is good for drainage. It could be a very cool lamp shade. Cap the rear and use it as a fire bucket or waste basket. Or use it as a case to transport an 8" SCT. :roflmao:

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:03 AM

Another use would be a flower pot. The hole at the rear is good for drainage. It could be a very cool lamp shade. Cap the rear and use it as a fire bucket or waste basket. Or use it as a case to transport an 8" SCT. :roflmao:

#10 gazerjim

gazerjim

Cosmos

Posted 21 May 2004 - 07:45 PM

Any chance of making it into a Maksutov?

#11 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:30 PM

That would require a big thick chunk of optical grade glass for the meniscus that would then have to be ground. Yeah, it's possible, but the amount of work........whew!!

#12 half meter

half meter

Voyager 1

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:21 PM

I'm sure it would make a great solar hot dog cooker, especially if it had severe abberations.

Otherwise, it'd burn a hole right through the dog :dabomb:

#13 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:00 AM

Mount a halogen bulb where the secondary used to be, stick it on the hood of your car, and use it to burn through the retinas of those idiots who refuse to dim their high beams.

#14 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:00 AM

I'm sure it would make a great solar hot dog cooker, especially if it had severe abberations.

Otherwise, it'd burn a hole right through the dog :dabomb:

Hey, that's the best idea yet. Can you see the crowds at star parties at noon when you start pulling cooked franks out of your Meade 10" OTA?

#15 half meter

half meter

Voyager 1

Posted 23 May 2004 - 06:24 AM

:roflmao:

"I know you're hungry, kids. Daddy is hurrying. He's almost got the hot dog cooker polar aligned!"

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics