•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC7814, The Little Sombrero, galaxy season kick-off

Astrophotography CCD DSO Imaging Observatory Reflector
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 syxbach

syxbach

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: West Texas

Posted 04 December 2021 - 02:24 AM

Finally, after I set up the dual TOA130+RC8 system, I can do galaxy imaging. NGC7814 is one of my favorite galaxies because it is similar to M104 but the object is much higher, so easier to imaging compared to M104. This is the official start of my galaxy season, although a bit early. My philosophy is to go deeper exposure. You can see many tiny galaxies in the background after 23-hour exposure. RC8 in the dark site is a powerful weapon. Considering its low cost, I would say it is much 'wallet friendly' but still provides excellent images compared to those popular CDK and big RCs. There is nothing more important than good seeing.  

Image details:
Mount: Astro-Physics 1100GTO
Telescope: Astro-Tech RC8 carbon
Camera: SBIG STF-8300 with OAG+FW8-8300 filter wheel
Guide camera: SBIG OAG-8300+Lodestar X2 with Kiss focuser
Filter: Astrodon LRGB Gen2 E-Series
Exposure time:
L: 75*10 min, bin1
R: 45*5 min, bin2
G: 45*5 min, bin2
B: 45*5 min, bin2

Post processing: Pixinsight 1.8.6+Photoshop
C&C are welcomes

Yuexiao

51723380787_8a42f17c96_k.jpg

Edited by syxbach, 04 December 2021 - 01:50 PM.

• lukasik, Jared, rwstanley and 31 others like this

#2 Mert

Mert

Cosmos

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:27 AM

Great image! Lovely detail and very deep.

#3 syxbach

syxbach

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:11 PM

Thank you Mert.

Yuexiao

Great image! Lovely detail and very deep.

#4 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:12 PM

Great job on this smaller galaxy.  The resolution and the depth of the image are fantastic.  I was wondering when we'd see the next image from your west Texas super-dark site!

• syxbach likes this

#5 syxbach

syxbach

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:42 PM

Thank you Ron. I am working on a mosaic project which has been completed by 60%.  Recent comet with M3 was also captured, but I do not know how to post process that yet. Next galaxy target for us will be Abell 426. In the winter, there are so many objects to choose. I really hope we can have more clear nights, more good-seeing clear nightslol.gif

Yuexiao

Great job on this smaller galaxy.  The resolution and the depth of the image are fantastic.  I was wondering when we'd see the next image from your west Texas super-dark site!

#6 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Pittstown, NY

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:50 PM

I seldom remember nights with good seeing in December or January around Lubbock.  December was usually the worst month for imaging, with bad seeing being the norm.  I should have gotten a short focal length system to shoot some widefield targets in the winter when I was living down there. 

#7 syxbach

syxbach

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 10:01 AM

When entering the winter season, we need cold front. Usually after cold front, there will be good seeing. Before the remote observatory, I have fortunately imaged for a couple of times when seeing was quite good. 

I seldom remember nights with good seeing in December or January around Lubbock.  December was usually the worst month for imaging, with bad seeing being the norm.  I should have gotten a short focal length system to shoot some widefield targets in the winter when I was living down there. 

#8 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On the bleu dot, 45.20 n 123,09 w

Posted 05 December 2021 - 10:05 AM

Superb image waytogo.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, CCD, DSO, Imaging, Observatory, Reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics