•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Plate solving on Astrobin not showing all items

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk84

Dirk84

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

I have a question regarding plate solving on Astrobin.

I've uploaded an wide field image 50mm of the Milky Way area around Deneb.

There are plenty of items visible in the shot and they are even listed by website but for some reason Astrobin does only highlight Deneb in the plate solving.

I used all sky plate solver to check if my image was maybe to bad to identify the objects but this software did it in 10sec.

What could be the reason why Astrobin doesn't completely show all the items? 

BTW the image is not an award winning one but I just like to star hop and learn more about all the items visible in my photos.

Thanks for the help! 

Attached Thumbnails

• plate1.jpg
  • plate2.jpg

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Skylab

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:42 AM

It's a database, and it has to be set up by humans.  Some poor guy has to type in the names and coordinates of each object.  No one database can possibly contain all objects.  So they pick and choose which objects to include.

#3 Dirk84

Dirk84

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 04 December 2021 - 05:10 PM

It's a database, and it has to be set up by humans.  Some poor guy has to type in the names and coordinates of each object.  No one database can possibly contain all objects.  So they pick and choose which objects to include.

But I have a picture of 200mm from the same area where it shows all the items in the plate solving.

With this 50mm picture it just shows Deneb...

This means the data is in the database but not popping up om my 50mm image...

Any idea why?

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics