•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comparing Collimators

Reflector Collimation
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StarDancerFL

StarDancerFL

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:50 PM

I want to replace my original Zhumell collimator because I am frustrated with it moving around inside the focuser of my Z12.

Any opinions regarding the Farpoint 1.25/2" Laser Collimator vs the Hotech 2" Laser Collimator? 

Also, can either of these collimators be used on an SCT  (CPC 9.25 HD) ?   I have never collimated an SCT yet, so I don't know if I need a special or different tool.

Edited by StarDancerFL, 04 December 2021 - 06:51 PM.

#2 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:56 PM

I have the Hotech.  Worked very well, though the advertised "perfect centering" function isn't foolproof. 

• StarDancerFL likes this

#3 Vic Menard

Vic Menard

Cosmos

• Loc: Bradenton, FL

Posted 04 December 2021 - 09:16 PM

I want to replace my original Zhumell collimator because I am frustrated with it moving around inside the focuser of my Z12.

Have you considered this: https://www.eyepiece...r_p/6404000.htm

...Any opinions regarding the Farpoint 1.25/2" Laser Collimator vs the Hotech 2" Laser Collimator? 

Also, can either of these collimators be used on an SCT  (CPC 9.25 HD) ?   I have never collimated an SCT yet, so I don't know if I need a special or different tool.

The FarPoint 1.25/2-inch laser will work (with your Z12) without having to use your current 2- to 1.25-inch adapter. Or you might consider the 1.25-inch FarPoint with a Parallizer (if you use a variety of 1.25-inch eyepieces). Generally speaking, lasers (and most other Newtonian collimating tools) don't work well with SCTs, while star alignment will get the job done...

#4 StarDancerFL

StarDancerFL

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Jacksonville, FL

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:21 PM

Have you considered this: https://www.eyepiece...r_p/6404000.htm

The FarPoint 1.25/2-inch laser will work (with your Z12) without having to use your current 2- to 1.25-inch adapter. Or you might consider the 1.25-inch FarPoint with a Parallizer (if you use a variety of 1.25-inch eyepieces). Generally speaking, lasers (and most other Newtonian collimating tools) don't work well with SCTs, while star alignment will get the job done...

I was trying to get away from using the 1.25" adapter to hold the collimator. However, I hadn't heard about the Parallizer.

#5 merill

merill

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:34 PM

Any opinions regarding the Farpoint 1.25/2" Laser Collimator vs the Hotech 2" Laser Collimator? 

If you already have a laser collimator keep it and use it to get you close, then get a auto collimator and/or cheshire they are beyond the accuracy of any laser hands down..

• StarDancerFL likes this

#6 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:53 PM

The Farpoint kit - which includes their 1.25/2" laser and the calibrated Cheshire, is fantastic for collimating your dob. The laser fits like OJ's glove, very snug. The Cheshire allows for perfect primary alignment. You have to use their triangle center spot to use the Cheshire. Highly Recommended.

Do not get the Hotech. Centering in the eyepiece holder is not the objective - the tool needs to be parallel.

The Glatter Parallizer is the tool to have if you want to stay with 1.25".

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reflector, Collimation

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics