•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion, constellation and nebula closeup

Art Beginner Orion Sketching
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tibor.moldovan

tibor.moldovan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:00 PM

After observing the planets on 11/29/21 I packed up my telescope and came into the house to warm up. But around midnight, as it was a fairly clear night, I stepped outside to take a look at Orion. It was so beautiful and imposing in the southeastern sky, above my garage. Well, since I was all dressed up, I brought out the telescope (130mm, 650mm FL, 25mm EP, 10mm EP, (each with a 2x Barlow)) and observed the Orion nebula for a while. This was my first time observing the nebula with my own eyes. (It was hard to stop, but the cold air chased me back inside.)

And of course Sirius below. (Not the best scale, but for now I’m happy with impressions, rather than technical accuracy.)

A little drawing to help me remember that night. Mostly inktense pencils, with a few other inks (silver, gold and copper). For nebulas, I used smudging techniques as per awesome tutorials by other members on this forum. 

I’ve only started drawing, so I’m not ashamed to admit I still have plenty to improve on, but am super happy to have a complementary hobby when the nights are cloudy. 

(I took a couple of terrible photos for reference.)

0B6D366F 6499 4D8B BF93 752497463902

Edited by tibor.moldovan, 04 December 2021 - 11:16 PM.

• Special Ed, frank5817, Mel Bartels and 15 others like this

#2 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:49 PM

Tibor,

Very nice sketch of Orion, (Constellation and nebula closeup) smile.gif .

CDS,KLU,

thanx.gif .

Tom

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:10 PM

You know, I must admit I over looked this sketch when first posted.Welcome to both cloudynights and to this forum tibor. Great idea to sketch m42 the first time you viewed it.This drawing will serve you well as a reference point for future drawings.We look forward to seeing more from you.                     Michael

#4 tibor.moldovan

tibor.moldovan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:18 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

#5 Thomas B

Thomas B

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 January 2022 - 06:01 PM

Tibor, is that done on black paper or did you chalk in the black as well? You've inspired me to give this a try, thanks.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Beginner, Orion, Sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics