•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Question about iOptron CEM120 mounts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesilver

bluesilver

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tasmania, Australia

Posted 05 December 2021 - 12:20 AM

Hi,  I am in market for an upgrade mount,

I currently have a Skywatcher AZ/EQ6 and using a Skywatcher Esprit 150 on it.

I have been doing quiet a bit of research and i think i have come down to the iOPtron CEM120 mounts as a good choice.

I think i am deciding between the CEM120EC and the CEM120EC2

This might be an odd question, but if i am in the position to go with either one,  would it be the wiser decision to go for the CEM120EC2 version?

I am planning to mount it on a iOptron Tri-Pier 360 as i do not have a permanent setup 

I realize these units do weight in heavy,  but i think mounting the unit to the tripod should be fine.

I see there is also a lot of mixed ideas and advice on weather you can run PHD2 with these mounts.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 mehdymo

mehdymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:18 AM

I think for EC you should guide which makes it useless. EC2 may work without guiding. 

The guiding problem with PHD2 was solved for CEM60EC long time ago. I am not sure if it is solved for CEM120 as well.

Thanks,

Mo

#3 mehdymo

mehdymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:22 AM

I had CEM60EC and it was excellent. I have CEM70 now and it works well. I am using it with an EdgeHD 11". I guess the weight is higher and the length (after adding reducer and OAG) is close to a 150 mm apo. The guiding result is very good (0.4" to 0.7" based on seeing).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics