•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Debating going Mono? This is what 3hrs of M42 by a newbie looks like!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 oneredpanther

oneredpanther

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:58 AM

I was like you once, just a few short months ago. 

"But I don't know if I want a mono camera. It seems weird to shoot in black and white!"

"I don't think a mono camera will be that different really..."

"I'm not sure if I want the extra work it involves..." 

"A colour camera is more useful to me..."

"Is the quality really worth it?" 

Yeah, I too was up all night ruminating. Going back and forth and back and forth, unable to really decide mono vs colour. 

Well let me tell you I took the plunge and bought an ASI 1600MM Pro, and once I started producing results HOLY F**K I will never ever look back. 

So if you're on the fence. If you're debating what to do. Just take a look at your OSC data of M42, and then have a look at what a mono camera can do in the same time. 

60 x 180s luminance on ASI 1600MM Pro. 

I only started a few months ago in this hobby, but mono has by far been the greatest leap forwards imaginable! 

>>>> high-resolution not ruined by cloudynights JPEG requirements. <<<<

Attached Thumbnails

• m42-lum-rx.jpg

Edited by oneredpanther, 05 December 2021 - 07:13 AM.

• F.Meiresonne, dswtan, kathyastro and 3 others like this

#2 DirtyRod

DirtyRod

Messenger

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for posting. I think I will eventually take the leap but was spending the time learning how to process the data correctly. 

Do you think that you need to be at a certain level in terms of processing ability in order to benefit from mono?

#3 T~Stew

T~Stew

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: central Ohio

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:31 AM

I'm really wanting to go mono, but man the price of a new cooled camera + EFW + 7 filters shocked.gif

Thanks for posting. I think I will eventually take the leap but was spending the time learning how to process the data correctly. 

Do you think that you need to be at a certain level in terms of processing ability in order to benefit from mono?

I would think so, but have never processed mono. However just going from regular image editing to splitting the 3 color channels, and independently doing some process to each, and recombining is way more work already. I had been processing my images without splitting the channels but just started dabbling in this.

Just being able to separate Ha from Sii gives your photos so much more range of colors if you are using false pallet. I now see the benefit of this. With most OSC, the Ha and Sii are just red together, or with dual narrowband you end up loosing the Sii, and you get a red/white image or perhaps red/blue or red/green. I suppose you could do this with separate filters with dslr/OSC but hardly anyone does, just too time consuming and cumbersome.

Plus they say the color resolution is so much better, since OSC for example with red you're only using 1 of 4 pixels and its interpolated.

Then again here is just the red channel of my old school Canon 60D on Rosette with dual narrow band filter, I'd say its not doing too bad...

oBFiUwK.jpg

This is probably equivalent of the venerable and cheap T3i (at least the sensor spec seems all identical), probably get them for a couple hundred bucks now-a-days on ebay, do a self astromod if you're capable, and add a NBZ or L-extreme or what have you, for like like $500 total and you're imaging. For me it was free, since I already have had it for close to10 years of terrestrial photography. It was my very first dslr. I don't even use it anymore, just a back up for my 6D and 7DII, so collecting dust. AP gave it new life, since I diy full spectrum modded it, just spent $65 on the clear glass and $300 on the NBZ narrowband filter. 

A good APS-C astro cam, like the ASI2600mm in the kit with EFW and LRGBSHO filters is like $3300 and folks usually spend way more on quality filters rather than ZWO ones. Man I want that so bad but that price is a tough pill to swallow!! I suppose I could go smaller... but being used to the 60D and 6D (full frame), another tough pill to swallow giving up so much of those photons.

Edited by T~Stew, 05 December 2021 - 07:58 AM.

• dswtan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics