•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Finder scope for Celestron 8se

Celestron Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Klyborg

Klyborg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:25 PM

I've had my 8se for a few months and am looking for suggestions regarding the finder scope. The screws that adjust the finder run out of travel before I can align it properly. I've taken the finder off and reinstalled it and sometimes that helps, but not usually. 

I also have trouble getting into a comfortable position to look through the finder. I usually end up bent over in some awkward position that makes the finder hard to use. Any suggestions? I'm leaning toward getting a replacement finder with a right angle eyepiece. 

Thanks, 

Klyborg

#2 hyiger

hyiger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Bay, CA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:38 PM

By finder are you referring to the red-dot finder that comes with the kit? Would recommend picking up the Telrad Finder Sight with either a 2" or 4" base riser. This is a 1x reflex sight. Or you can try a right-angle finder like the Celestron Illuminated RACI Finder Scope which is especially useful for stuff around the zenith. 

Edited by hyiger, 05 December 2021 - 01:39 PM.

• jeffreym and PolyWogg like this

#3 Medic002

Medic002

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:40 PM

Could u add a picture of the finderscope u have and how it is mounted? Some of the finderscopes depending on the rings that hold it the rings need to be mounted a certain way to be adjusted properly. Another option much easier to use would be to get a telrad or the star pointer made by celestron which is similar.

• jeffreym and PolyWogg like this

#4 Klyborg

Klyborg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:59 PM

I just have the basic red-dot finder that came with it. 

#5 Klyborg

Klyborg

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:03 PM

Hyiger, you're not talking about this, are you?  https://www.highpoin...2a8b06b10d70f77

#6 Medic002

Medic002

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina Bortle Class 4

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:27 PM

Hyiger, you're not talking about this, are you?  https://www.highpoin...2a8b06b10d70f77

check on amazon u may find it cheaper. I think I bought one for around 35 at the time or check the classifieds. The celestron star pointer pro version is similar also.

#7 JWP2

JWP2

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester Hills, Mi

Posted 05 December 2021 - 10:58 PM

I have the 8SE also, and use the red dot finder to get me close to my first alignment stars, and I use the RACI (right angle correct image)  9x50 to finish the job.  I do bring a garden kneeler pad when using the red dot!  But, then I can comfortably see target stars in the 5 degree FOV (Field of View) of the RACI.  The modest 9x magnification is especially useful when performing the precise go to or synch functions.  I can often see the ghostly glow of a glob to assure me I will see my target in the  eyepiece.

The RD is also helpful on those nights when you are looking for deep sky objects and can’t find anything.  Slew to a known star and get quick answer if the problem is with your alignment or with the seeing.  

Here is an important piece of information I got from this forum:   You will need to loosen the finder shoe screws on the RD finder and slip a small plastic shim under the shoe, then re-tighten and realign.   I have only needed to shim once in two years.  It makes it so much easier to align the RD with the scope.   Hope this was helpful.  Clear skies!

• Klyborg likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics