•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it worth to use Ha filter on unmodded camera?

Beginner DSLR Filters
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Boven

Boven

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 05 December 2021 - 01:59 PM

I have a dslr and a decent little setup but my camera isn't modified.

If I put a Ha filter on it it will collect very little data but still get some. Is it worth it?

Should I just shoot without filters the time I would spend shooting with a filter on?

#2 kathyastro

kathyastro

Soyuz

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:07 PM

I don't think it would be worth it.  The IR filter will block about half (or more) of the light that the Ha filter lets in.   You will get some signal, but you are going to need some lo-o-ong exposures.

• dswtan likes this

#3 Boven

Boven

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 05 December 2021 - 03:22 PM

I don't think it would be worth it.  The IR filter will block about half (or more) of the light that the Ha filter lets in.   You will get some signal, but you are going to need some lo-o-ong exposures.

...and with those long exposures from a (old) dslr comes noise. 

Yeah so basically it's not worth it.

Thanks

• dswtan likes this

#4 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:23 PM

I have a dslr and a decent little setup but my camera isn't modified.

If I put a Ha filter on it it will collect very little data but still get some. Is it worth it?

Should I just shoot without filters the time I would spend shooting with a filter on?

Your camera won't collect any more Ha than without the filer. The filter just blocks the additional sky glow/LP. The contrast might be greater, but the signal will still be just as weak/noisy. You need to get the signal up in the first place.

Edited by 17.5Dob, 05 December 2021 - 07:25 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, DSLR, Filters

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics