•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Returning pinched optics or just Pleiades

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sbharrat

sbharrat

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:14 PM

So I had some issues with pinched optics on my TS Optics Photoline 80 when I first received it. Some of you might remember my long saga (in end scope had to go back to Germany for repair). Everything has been great since it came back. (I might have jinxed it all by commenting to my wife recently how everything was working great! grin.gif ). Anyway, I started shooting my 1 year anniversary Pleiades and noticed flaring the bright stars...

diffraction-stacked.jpg

I went back to the subs and it is there on the sub (left). For reference, I included smaller star in my Andromeda sub that I captured about 1 hour earlier (right). 

pleiades-andromeda.jpg

Question: is my pinched optics back? I would have thought this would show up more going from cold weather to warm, not from warm to cold. Was it always there and just more noticeable on Pleiades? Once I have a clear sky, I will get some star pictures of some bright stars to compare. And a visual star check. Any other suggestions for debugging? 

Edited by sbharrat, 05 December 2021 - 02:21 PM.

#2 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:27 AM

That's what the prominent stars in my Pleiades look like...

• sbharrat likes this

#3 DennisOrion

DennisOrion

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:47 AM

I was just combining some subs for Pleiades and a few of the stars looked just like that.

• sbharrat likes this

#4 unimatrix0

unimatrix0

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:25 AM

I don't know, might be slightly pinched or not, but my pinched optics was far far worse, so if that's pinched, that's very minimal.  

• sbharrat likes this

#5 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:31 AM

You are over-worried. It could also be some very slight pinching from temperature changes and lens contracting. This is very negligeable. It could also come from slight aperture vignetting. In any case, don't stress yourself out because of this.

• sbharrat likes this

#6 sbharrat

sbharrat

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:02 PM

Thanks everyone!! You have put my mind at ease. Reason this even entered my mind is because of my early experience with this scope but then it was fixed at the vendor and has been great ever since. Coincidentally this the first time imaging on a really cold night, hence the worry that it was back and caused by the very different temperature. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics