•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bino-scopes for two ST80?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kongqk

kongqk

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: US

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:40 PM

I recently had an idea: can I use two Orion ST80s to make a bino-scope? This way, I can use a pair of zoom eyepieces, and have a zoomable binoculars. Does this idea workable? My thinking is that, if I can find a dual mounting rings or some frame that can hold the two scopes, then I can make this work. But I also expect some issues for the alignment of the two scopes, especially for the higher power views. Therefore, not sure if this is a good idea or not, but just want to laying out here, and see if there are some comments or suggestions, or even better, some existing tried projects like this. 

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:54 PM

I've done this with many refractors from 60mm to 200mm aperture. Another of the factors that you will have to deal with is the translation of the optical axes to that of your interpupilliary distance, this will involve adding prisms or mirrors and shortening the main tubes to accommodate the extra light path required.

• kongqk likes this

#3 kongqk

kongqk

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 04:20 PM

I've done this with many refractors from 60mm to 200mm aperture. Another of the factors that you will have to deal with is the translation of the optical axes to that of your interpupilliary distance, this will involve adding prisms or mirrors and shortening the main tubes to accommodate the extra light path required.

Thanks Peter! This is a good point, I didn't think about this. Is it possible just rotate the diagonal a little bit to make it work? What prisms did you use? 

#4 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 December 2021 - 05:52 PM

If you just rotate the diagonals one view turns clockwise and the other anti-clockwise so this doesn't work.  You have to use pairs of diagonals be they mirrors or prisms, hence the added light path.

• kongqk likes this

#5 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:12 PM

Here's a solution for using just one diagonal on each OTA: https://www.cloudyni...s-17-binoscope/
  • kongqk likes this

#6 kongqk

kongqk

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:14 PM

If you just rotate the diagonals one view turns clockwise and the other anti-clockwise so this doesn't work.  You have to use pairs of diagonals be they mirrors or prisms, hence the added light path.

Thanks. I maybe first test what Mark mentioned in post#5, looks to me like a good solution without adding in more prisms ^_^

#7 kongqk

kongqk

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:16 PM

Here's a solution for using just one diagonal on each OTA: https://www.cloudyni...s-17-binoscope/

Thanks Mark for the link, this is really cool, and exactly gives me great ideas how to do this. I never thought about we can actually connect the two scopes in a tilted way to get them closer enough for binoviewing. I will test this first and see whether it will work ^_^ Now, I need to get another ST80 for experimenting the idea! 

#8 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:47 AM

Yes, this would work, I was thinking along the lines of a more traditional looking design.

#9 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:03 AM

Yes, this would work, I was thinking more in terms of a conventional looking design.  The two prism/mirror design offers easier IPD adjustment for different observers.

• kongqk likes this

#10 plyscope

plyscope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Perth, West Australia

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:21 PM

Here is another possibility from Peter Tinkerer.

https://www.petertin...-binoscope.html

#11 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:57 AM

I recently had an idea: can I use two Orion ST80s to make a bino-scope? This way, I can use a pair of zoom eyepieces, and have a zoomable binoculars. Does this idea workable? My thinking is that, if I can find a dual mounting rings or some frame that can hold the two scopes, then I can make this work. But I also expect some issues for the alignment of the two scopes, especially for the higher power views. Therefore, not sure if this is a good idea or not, but just want to laying out here, and see if there are some comments or suggestions, or even better, some existing tried projects like this. 

Keep the magnification low enough, I doubt the systems are accurate enough for critical alignment.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics