•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk ultra 15 x 70 update

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 02:55 PM

I've had the binoculars for a few months now.  I rated them 4 stars in a review out of 5 and  Isee another person recently gave them 2 stars which surprised me.

I generally use them sitting in a chair from a dark site.  Also use them on my deck for bird watching (the feathered variety :)  )

They are heavy but manageable and obviously the individual focusing takes a bit of getting used to.

Still very happy with the purchase very sharp views minimal false colour and reasonable edge correction.  Messier 45  or Matariki as we call it in New Zealand is simply superb.  open clusters galaxies nebula wonderful views to be had.  Seems to show the colours well also.  They are at  least as sharp as my zeiss 7 x 50mmW.

I often lie on my back and scan the heavens.  The Helix nebula is especially pleasing in these binoculars.  Once focused stars are tight and I love the way the fainter stars pop into view in a lot of clusters not visible in 50mm binoculars.

In daytime use they are really nice and I often use a tripod.  There is excellent depth of focus and field sharpness.

I would recommend them to anyone who likes deepsky observing of clusters etc.  I am hoping to get a parallel mount for them soon.

• Jon Isaacs and DeanD like this

#2 MarMax

MarMax

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 05 December 2021 - 03:29 PM

2x on your follow up. I've had mine for about six months and agree on the 4/5 rating. There is a slight learning curve but once past it they are excellent. I'm using them with a monopod and a parallelogram, which is almost a "must" for these considering the weight and 15x magnification.

The Helix is not possible from my back yard (SQM-L 18.43). I'll have to give it try next time I'm out in the desert. I've rigged up a bracket so I can use the 15x70s with my M2C mount and Nexus DSC but have not had it to a dark site yet.

• Stopforths likes this

#3 chris charen

chris charen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Auckland. New Zealand

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:02 PM

For northern hemisphere dark sky observers a visit to New Zealand is well worth it. We have some of the clearest and darkest skies on the planet which is helped by very little light pollution. New Zealand is a county of only 5 million with a comparable size of the UK. We have numerous International dark sky reserves and we have the world's largest dark sky reserve, the Aoraki Mackenzie Dark Sky Reserve in the South Island which is 4,300km² (1,660mi²) in area. This not to forget we have some of the best scenery in the world also and we are relatively crime free. So put New Zealand on your bucket list.

Chris 

https://www.gorental...d-7-best-spots/

• Jon Isaacs, SNH, sevenofnine and 5 others like this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:17 PM

Chris:

I've had a pair of the Orion Resolux version of the 15x70 Ultras for maybe 4 years. I keep them out at our place in the high desert.

For a pair of 15x70s that costs $400, I think they're as good as it gets. Optically and mechanically, I've found nothing wanting. Sure, they don't have a perfectly flat field with zero off-axis astigmatism but the off axis performance is satisfying.. plenty of eye relief.. 

I really haven't found anything I consider an issue..  4.7 

Jon

• Fiske, Stopforths, DeanD and 1 other like this

#5 Fiske

Fiske

Skylab

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:31 PM

+1 waytogo.gif

Will just add that Orion is nice to deal with, but Oberwerk is pretty much the gold standard for customer service and nobody matches their shipping and handling. Seriously. Nobody. wink.gif

Edited by Fiske, 05 December 2021 - 06:32 PM.

• kenny moses, RiderRoy and aznuge like this

#6 f18dad

f18dad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:00 PM

For northern hemisphere dark sky observers a visit to New Zealand is well worth it. We have some of the clearest and darkest skies on the planet which is helped by very little light pollution. New Zealand is a county of only 5 million with a comparable size of the UK. We have numerous International dark sky reserves and we have the world's largest dark sky reserve, the Aoraki Mackenzie Dark Sky Reserve in the South Island which is 4,300km² (1,660mi²) in area. This not to forget we have some of the best scenery in the world also and we are relatively crime free. So put New Zealand on your bucket list.

Chris 

It's a great country to visit and we enjoyed ours. An astro tour would be dynamite!

• Fiske likes this

#7 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 December 2021 - 08:47 PM

Chris 

West coast of the South island is a great place to visit for stargazing   The mountains shut out the light from the eastern towns and cities and the population is tiny 30000 over a 400 miles stretch of the island.

We are looking forward to welcoming people back from the US Australia and other parts of the world.  The tourist industry here is really struggling and I suspect astro tourism will be the same.

Phil Barker

Edited by Stopforths, 05 December 2021 - 08:53 PM.

• BUDSBOY likes this

#8 StarAlert

StarAlert

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:22 PM

Sounds awesome. Any chance y’all will let me buy a house there and retire? 

Edited by StarAlert, 05 December 2021 - 09:50 PM.

• Stopforths likes this

#9 DeanD

DeanD

Viking 1

• Loc: South Australia

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:53 AM

I've had the binoculars for a few months now.  I rated them 4 stars in a review out of 5 and  Isee another person recently gave them 2 stars which surprised me.

I generally use them sitting in a chair from a dark site.  Also use them on my deck for bird watching (the feathered variety smile.gif  )

They are heavy but manageable and obviously the individual focusing takes a bit of getting used to.

Still very happy with the purchase very sharp views minimal false colour and reasonable edge correction.  Messier 45  or Matariki as we call it in New Zealand is simply superb.  open clusters galaxies nebula wonderful views to be had.  Seems to show the colours well also.  They are at  least as sharp as my zeiss 7 x 50mmW.

I often lie on my back and scan the heavens.  The Helix nebula is especially pleasing in these binoculars.  Once focused stars are tight and I love the way the fainter stars pop into view in a lot of clusters not visible in 50mm binoculars.

In daytime use they are really nice and I often use a tripod.  There is excellent depth of focus and field sharpness.

I would recommend them to anyone who likes deepsky observing of clusters etc.  I am hoping to get a parallel mount for them soon.

I agree. They are excellent binos for the money (especially when you get them 2nd hand like I did! ;)

On the basis of a (sadly) brief comparison, I find they give the Fujinon 16x70's a run for the money. I would also give them at least 4 stars.

I did find it interesting when I had the opportunity to view through the 10x70 version. These impressed me greatly with a wider "sweet spot": in fact almost to the very edge of the field. They were a definite 5 stars.

Happy viewing in your wonderful country. Speaking as an Aussie, I am jealous!  ;)

All the best,

- Dean

• Fiske, Jon Isaacs and Stopforths like this

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:38 AM

I did find it interesting when I had the opportunity to view through the 10x70 version. These impressed me greatly with a wider "sweet spot": in fact almost to the very edge of the field. They were a definite 5 stars.

I also have a pair of the Orion Resolux 10.5 x 70s. They were the first larger aperture binoculars I really liked. I'd owned some older 11x80s and 20x80s as well as some 15x63 Mini giants but they were just so-so, lacking eye relief and they just never grabbed me. I'd given them away and given up on larger aperture binos.

But I'd heard good things about the Resolux/Ultra's and Astro-Physics was selling them and when I saw a Astromart ad by a local guy whom I knew for a pair of 10.5x70s for $100 complete with Orion solar filters, I bought them. I really liked them so later I was able to buy the 15x70 used from a CNer who knew I wanted a pair.

I think the difference in field sharpness is due to the narrower AFoV, 52.5° versus 65°.  But i prefer the wider AFoV and find the 15x70s more acceptably sharp across the field.

Right now I'm getting ready to go out and check out comet Leonard. I think I'll take a look in the 10.5x70s.  Normally I would have spent the night observing but I unfortunately I discovered the refrigerator had quit working so I have a big day ahead driving into town to pick up a refrigerator from a friend.. 

The 10.5x70s more than earned their keep last year view comet Neowise.  That was the best three weeks of my Astronomy.  My wife was with me and it was clear out here in the high desert for those weeks. While Neowise was a morning comet, I'd get up, haul the binos Parallelogram mount, and chairs up to the best viewing spot. I'd watch it rise tail first againt the distant mountains. Then I wake up my wife, she'd fix tea and hot cocoa and we'd watch the comet together.

neowise 1 july 7, 2020.jpg

When it switched to the evening, we'd sit out in the pines and watch it..

Jon

• Fiske, Rich V., DeanD and 2 others like this

#11 Fiske

Fiske

Skylab

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:53 AM

So the best three weeks of astronomy for you were with a binocular, not a telescope. Interesting...

hmm.gif

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 06 December 2021 - 09:32 AM

So the best three weeks of astronomy for you were with a binocular, not a telescope. Interesting...

hmm.gif

It wasn't really about binoculars or telescopes, it was sharing a naked eye comet with my wife..  Normally she'll spend 20 minutes or so if there's something special going on but this was different.

She does enjoying seeing Omega Centauri making it's way in and out of the crags in a mountain range, she'll get up in the middle of the night when it's 30 degrees outside. That's the most aesthetically stunning view I've ever seen.. 

Saddle mountain 1.jpg

Jon

• Fiske, plyscope and MarMax like this

#13 Fiske

Fiske

Skylab

Posted 06 December 2021 - 10:32 AM

Somehow I am getting this whole Tremors vibe from your dessert hideout. grin.gif Is this near a town named Bixby by any chance? 

Thanks for sharing, Jon. Really enjoyable.

Fiske

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#14 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:38 AM

Count me as another fan of the 15x70's.  waytogo.gif   I got mine in 2007--they are the APM Germany brand but are the same as the Obie Ultras and Orion Resolux--the Kunming Series 8 model.  I bought them secondhand from a CN member.

They are way too heavy for me to handhold but work nicely on a p-gram mount.  I've used them for nighttime astronomy and for solar observing equipped with Baader ASF filters.  I used them to view the total eclipse of the Sun in 2017--the p-gram mount was very handy when sharing the view with adults and children.

Comet NEOWISE was a peak experience for me, too--partly because it was so much fun sharing the experience with so many others and partly because an image of mine made the cover of the Reflector.

https://www.astrolea...tor pages_1.pdf

Here are a couple of sketches using the 15x70's.  smile.gif

NEOWISE_2020-07-20_V1.composite.jpg

Antares_M4_RhoOph_6.25.2008_v3.JPG

• Fiske, aznuge and BUDSBOY like this

#15 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

I agree. They are excellent binos for the money (especially when you get them 2nd hand like I did! wink.gif

On the basis of a (sadly) brief comparison, I find they give the Fujinon 16x70's a run for the money. I would also give them at least 4 stars.

Happy viewing in your wonderful country. Speaking as an Aussie, I am jealous!  wink.gif

All the best,

- Dean

Agree the 10 x 70 fujis 5 star brother kev has a pair.  I have some astigmatism but they are superb no question right to the edge a bit lighter and easier to hold than the ultra 15 x 70mm.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics