•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lens damage in my old Tele Vue 2.5mm Nagler T6 Eyepiece and successful eye lens replacement sourced from a 3.5mm Nagler T6

Eyepieces Optics Refractor Visual DIY
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Linn

Linn

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2021 - 09:55 PM

I suspect $100 is, or at least was, their standard fee for a doublet lens.  I was also quoted $100 for the Smyth lens (field lens) for the 31 mm Nagler.

I think TeleVue is the only company that provides repair and parts for their lenses.

Jon

Jon

Vernonscope will replace/repair lens groups in their Brandons. 

#27 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:57 PM

Did you ever check with TV to see what the replacement lens would cost?

Hi Steve,

No, I did not check with TV about the cost of a replacement lens, it just wasn’t part of my plan.

#28 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:00 PM

That lens could probably be taken apart with the correct solvent, and recemented.  Or, you could send the 3.5mm in for repair, and have a spare for much less than even a used one.

Doesn't need to be sent in since that would require a tech charge.  Instead just purchase the replacement part and self install.

Thank you John and Redbetter for your excellent suggestions and Jon for mentioning the $100 quote for the lens group from Tele Vue!

As stated on my first post, all my T6 Naglers were purchased new between 11 and 15 years ago and in all that time they have consistently brought me great joy, wonderful vistas beyond my expectations and lots inspiration.  When I found out about the problem with my 2.5mm Nagler I tried to find a replacement on the used equipment section from established vendors, but after months of continual search, none showed up.  It was only then that I decided to disassemble the eyepiece and luckily ‘discovered’ that the eye lens group of the 2.5mm was interchangeable with the one from the 3.5mm.  I saw this as an opportunity to ‘fix’ my 2.5mm Nagler and at the same time reacquire a brand new 3.5mm Nagler with pristine optics and the latest coatings.  This is the path that I followed and I believe that paying the additional cost (over parts or repair) to have a fresh out-of-the-box 3.5mm eyepiece was well worth it.  I’m happy with my decision! smile.gif

About repairing the donor 3.5mm, I’d prefer to save money and keep trying to find a used 2.5m Nagler T6 in case my ‘fixed’ 11-year old 2.5mm finally decides to give up for good.

I thank you all for the help received! flowerred.gif 

Edited by Castor, 07 December 2021 - 11:02 PM.

#29 davidgmd

davidgmd

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 08 December 2021 - 07:54 AM

Do fungi that affect lenses stick to the glass and not spread other than on glass surfaces? Is there any risk that fungal elements could have spread to other lenses in the EP or other inner barrel surfaces during disassembly of the EP?

Is the "donor" eye lens taken from the 3.5 mm at risk of contamination from spores or filaments in the EP barrel?

Any need to more thoroughly disinfect the 2.5 mm? If so, how would you do that? Take the lens apart and soak it? In what? Povidone-iodine? Alcohol? Acetone? Expose it to UV?

Or am I being ridiculous?

#30 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:56 AM

UV light or acetone would be sufficient.

But moisture is the cause.  When storing eyepieces in a case, always store them with a desiccant.

• Castor likes this

#31 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:02 PM

Thank you Don! waytogo.gif 

#32 sanbai

sanbai

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:48 PM

About repairing the donor 3.5mm, I’d prefer to save money and keep trying to find a used 2.5m Nagler T6 in case my ‘fixed’ 11-year old 2.5mm finally decides to give up for good.

[size=5][font=calibri]I thank you all for the help received! flowerred.gif

The Nagler 2.5 is hard to get but they aren't unicorns. It took me only two wanted ads to find mine. I'm aware of another member finding one this way shortly after me.

While a treasure for some, it's also the eyepiece others never get to use.

Santiago
  • Castor likes this

#33 Castor

Castor

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:18 PM

The Nagler 2.5 is hard to get but they aren't unicorns. It took me only two wanted ads to find mine. I'm aware of another member finding one this way shortly after me.

While a treasure for some, it's also the eyepiece others never get to use.

Santiago

Thank you Santiago! wink.gif 

Edited by Castor, 08 December 2021 - 11:08 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eyepieces, Optics, Refractor, Visual, DIY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics