•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT80ED

Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:39 AM

Way back in aught '07, this post was written ...

Tightening focuser on AT80ED

I have one of these beautiful telescopes bought in 2006, and it still works great today.  If you have a focuser like this and it gets "lazy", and won't seem to hold heavier items as one gets to zenith, sliding, the solution above works.

A 2.5mm hex head will tighten 'er up just fine.

• RAKing likes this

#2 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern VA - West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:20 PM

Hi, Collin!

I had the carbon fiber version back in 2008 and it worked fine for me.  Fortunately, the new 2021 version has a beautiful rack and pinion focuser, not a Crayford.  So there is no slippage and the new focuser is very smooth.

2008  - We have done quite a few laps around the sun since this photo was taken.  The only thing I still have is the Telrad.  cool.gif

Cheers,

Ron

AT80-SE0808b.JPG

• CollinofAlabama and Agatha like this

#3 barbie

barbie

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 11 December 2021 - 05:00 PM

I also had one of the Carbon fiber AT80ED's back in 2008-09 and enjoyed it immensely. I'm not a fan of Crayford focusers though and later sold the 80ED to finance my final big refractor project, a home built 5" F12 refractor with a lens that I designed and had made by a firm that is now out of business. My current AT70ED is superb and has an exceedingly smooth r&p focuser and excellent optics and build quality!! I have tons of fun observing with it!!!

Edited by barbie, 11 December 2021 - 05:06 PM.

• RAKing likes this

#4 sportsmed

sportsmed

Viking 1

• Loc: Hot Springs, AR

Posted 11 December 2021 - 07:45 PM

I have a newer AT80ED and the scope and focuser is nice and smooth, I really enjoy that scope in fact I'm about to leave the house to go use it! Clear skies!

• RAKing likes this

#5 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 13 December 2021 - 01:14 AM

The latest AT80 - and very recently I took delivery of one from Astronomics - is an excellent 80 mm ED refractor with a fine focuser and even better fit and finish for the price. Highly recommended.

Edited by belgrade, 13 December 2021 - 01:16 AM.

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:55 PM

Hi, Collin!

I had the carbon fiber version back in 2008 and it worked fine for me.  Fortunately, the new 2021 version has a beautiful rack and pinion focuser, not a Crayford.  So there is no slippage and the new focuser is very smooth.

2008  - We have done quite a few laps around the sun since this photo was taken.  The only thing I still have is the Telrad.  cool.gif

Cheers,

Ron

attachicon.gifAT80-SE0808b.JPG

Ron:

Which version of the AT-80 is that?  I have an AT-80 LE which is a carbon fiber 80mm F/6 FPL-53 doublet.  Yours looks like maybe it was F/7?

The focuser on mine is a GSO two speed Crayford, yours looks the same. 

post-3933-0-82522300-1477716837.jpg

I like GSO Crayfords.  They are easy to clean and adjust.  They are designed to be adjusted on the fly and they are plenty capable.  I use mine frequently with the 31mm Nagler and the 41mm Panoptic, not problems lifting those eyepieces vertically.  An added bonus is that if the micro-focuser is damaged, which can happen with any micro-focuser, in normal times you can buy a $60 two speed upgrade kit from Agena-Astro that includes the micro-focuser and pinion.  With many focusers, if the two speed is damaged, you are stuck.  It's either use it as a single speed or buy a new focuser.

https://agenaastro.c...pgrade-kit.html

Jon

• RAKing and BFaucett like this

#7 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 14 December 2021 - 09:16 AM

Jon,

Mine was the f/7 A-T80EDT.  I don't remember what glass it had, but it worked very well.

My new one is the bargain priced A-T 80ED.  It also works well and complements my A-P 105 very well.

Cheers,

Ron

A-T80EDT.JPG

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 December 2021 - 12:35 PM

Jon,

Mine was the f/7 A-T80EDT.  I don't remember what glass it had, but it worked very well.

My new one is the bargain priced A-T 80ED.  It also works well and complements my A-P 105 very well.

Cheers,

Ron

attachicon.gifA-T80EDT.JPG

What little I could find suggests the Carbon Fiber 80mm F/7 is a FPL-51 or similar triplet.  That would have been a nice scope.,  

The current AT-80ED has some very nice mechanicals and quite good color correction. 

Jon

• RAKing likes this

#9 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

Posted 14 December 2021 - 02:07 PM

The current AT-80ED has some very nice mechanicals and quite good color correction. 

The current 80ED does work very well - and at $400 it's a bargain!

A-T80ED 120221.JPG

• Jon Isaacs, Scott in NC, belgrade and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics