•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZWO Windows 10 64 bit camera drivers & the SkyX plugin

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:52 AM

I use the SkyX with my ZWO CMOS cameras. I have an ASI6200 MM pro as the main camera and an ASI183 MM PRO as the guide camera.

I mostly use the native SkyX plugin but have rarely used ASCOM.

Across many imaging sessions I started to notice instability in the cameras. They would take a sub and before it finished would either not finish to put an image on screen, lock up or give error 206. The cameras never completely crashed out of the system. They could be disconnected and reconnected however the issue of no frame download or error 206 would repeat. This got very frustrating as it was obviously spoiling an imaging session when affected with the issue. It was also intermittent- sometimes both cameras working fine and other nights being plagued with none connectivity or crash issues.

I took a close look at the issue last night. I started by removing all instances of the ZWO drivers- interestingly even though I'd upgraded to the latest versions the windows apps in control panel still showed the earlier version- odd as I thought it would get removed automatically on upgrading. I also removed all traces of any legacy drivers from previous cameras that I had used such as QHY, Atik and SX. At this stage I did not reinstall the ZWO Windows drivers as I had a hunch the camera would work with the native SkyX plugin alone.

I'm not sure if the cleanup had resolved a conflict or removing the Windows 10 drivers has fixed the issue however using the native SkyX ZWO plugin has cured the stability issues I saw before I did the work. I'm not sure if this is coincidence however I don't need the ZWO windws drivers to work with the SkyX.

I will let you know if I get continued stability as this has happened before- periods of stability interrupted with periods of camera issue. The jury is out whether this is fixed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics