•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

"Big Binoscout" - New book for DSO observing with binoculars

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:43 AM

This came out earlier this year. It is in German, but I think it is well useable with minimal knowledge of German - at least if you manage to translate the names of the constellations wink.gif

The 144 DSO objects covered are listed with their M or NGC number, and where there is no such number (as with some asterisms, e.g. the "Eiffel Tower" close to Mizar/Alkor), the name is given in English.

Other books for binocular astronomy (e.g. S. Tonkin, Binocular Astronomy; G. Seronik, Binocular Highlights; Scagell/Friedman, Stargazing with Binoculars; Craig/Crossen, Binocular Astronomy; Harrington, Touring the Universe through Binoculars) provide more information in text form; the Big Binoscout is essentially based on graphics, overall perhaps more targeted towards relative beginners rather than experienced observers.

I found it easy to use with its double page structure - one page showing a section of the sky with constellations and the approximate location of the DSO objects, the other page giving precise coordinates / size / brightness and showing a drawing of the objects and a simulation of what the objects look like in a handheld binocular (6 degree image, assuming something like 10x50) or a large binocular (3 degree image, assuming 20x100 or the like), respectively.

And: the pages of the Big Binoscout are fully waterproof, therefore no problem using it in cold nights.

fwiw Pinac

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9042r.jpg
  • IMG_9044rr.jpg

• Fiske, zjc26138, Mark9473 and 16 others like this

#2 Fiske

Fiske

Skylab

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:45 AM

I really like the format. Took German in college...

hmm.gif

• Sarkikos and Pinac like this

#3 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:09 PM

I also got a copy and I like it

Jochen

#4 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Apollo

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 07 December 2021 - 03:17 AM

This came out earlier this year. It is in German, but I think it is well useable with minimal knowledge of German - at least if you manage to translate the names of the constellations wink.gif

The 144 DSO objects covered are listed with their M or NGC number, and where there is no such number (as with some asterisms, e.g. the "Eiffel Tower" close to Mizar/Alkor), the name is given in English.

Other books for binocular astronomy (e.g. S. Tonkin, Binocular Astronomy; G. Seronik, Binocular Highlights; Scagell/Friedman, Stargazing with Binoculars; Craig/Crossen, Binocular Astronomy; Harrington, Touring the Universe through Binoculars) provide more information in text form; the Big Binoscout is essentially based on graphics, overall perhaps more targeted towards relative beginners rather than experienced observers.

I found it easy to use with its double page structure - one page showing a section of the sky with constellations and the approximate location of the DSO objects, the other page giving precise coordinates / size / brightness and showing a drawing of the objects and a simulation of what the objects look like in a handheld binocular (6 degree image, assuming something like 10x50) or a large binocular (3 degree image, assuming 20x100 or the like), respectively.

And: the pages of the Big Binoscout are fully waterproof, therefore no problem using it in cold nights.

fwiw Pinac

I am really looking forward to receive my copies of the Big Binoscout since the day the crowfunding was announced!! I personally like the writing style of Lambert Spix in Fernglâser) and i was waiting for another binocular / RFT guide. The waterproofness of the Oculum books makes them very nice in the field. waytogo.gif

Carlos 

Edited by Corcaroli78, 07 December 2021 - 03:18 AM.

#5 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:17 AM

"Currently Unavailable" on amazon.de frown.gif

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 08 December 2021 - 09:45 AM

Maybe I should write a book.  I've seen 264 DSO with my Canon 10x42 IS!  144 objects is just warming up.

But this looks like a neat book.  I would have gotten it if it were still available.  I bet my college German could handle it.

grin.gif

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 08 December 2021 - 09:48 AM.

• sonny.barile likes this

#7 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Apollo

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:05 PM

Maybe I should write a book.  I've seen 264 DSO with my Canon 10x42 IS!  144 objects is just warming up.

But this looks like a neat book.  I would have gotten it if it were still available.  I bet my college German could handle it.

grin.gif

Mike

Hi Mike,

You can try here: 

https://www.oculum-v...tailview?no=597

the book is the result of a crowfunding with the supporters paying the book(s) in advance early this year and hoping to reach the target and realize the project. it was achieved and i can see they are also additional books on their site.

Carlos

• Sarkikos likes this

#8 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 08 December 2021 - 12:28 PM

I just now ordered a copy!  :waytogo:

Mike

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#9 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:22 PM

grin.gif

Mike

Do it……I will buy the first one from the press. 

#10 ihf

ihf

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:46 PM

The publisher has many interesting books in German.

https://www.oculum-verlag.de/buecher/

These ship from the UK to the USA

https://www.amazon.c...duct/3938469714

https://www.amazon.c...duct/3949370021

There are also in English the "interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas" and "interstellarum Deep Sky Guide" in English. But I have not splurged on them yet.

There is also this recent Messier Guide, but not sure if it is available in the USA

https://www.amazon.d...duct/3938469943

• Stellarfire and Thotmosis like this

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

Posted 08 December 2021 - 04:29 PM

Do it……I will buy the first one from the press. 

I did it!  Look up.  rolleyes.gif

:grin:

Mike

• sonny.barile likes this

#12 Ronald Stoyan

Ronald Stoyan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:40 AM

Hello from Germany!

I am CEO of Oculum-Verlag, the publisher of "Big Binoscout".

We would love to do an English language edition. Unfortunately, distribution from Europe to the US (and the UK since Brexit) is very awkward; shipments are either very slow or expensive or both.

If you know an American publisher or (telescope) distributor interested in selling larger quantities, please contact us at info(at)oculum.de.

Thank you!

Ronald

• Corcaroli78, Stellarfire, ihf and 2 others like this

#13 MrZoomZoom2017

MrZoomZoom2017

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cerritos, CA

Posted 14 December 2021 - 12:49 PM

Greetings Ronald,

Have you considered Sky Publishing which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the American Astronomical Society?  They publish many fine products and might be an avenue to get this new book of yours in English and here in the US.  Here is a link to their website:  https://shopatsky.com/pages/about-us

Hope this happens - I would definitely buy a copy in English!

Kind Regards,

Tim

P.S.  Love my "interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas:  Field Edition"

• ihf likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics