•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rotators for ZWO ASI Cameras with EAF?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 seanboon

seanboon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:50 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a WO GT81 that comes with a rotator, but I have an EAF in the mix and am wondering if there is a solution for camera rotation that will allow me to keep the EAF in an "upright or downright" position" and not in some wonky sideways state that can mix up my weight distribution for balancing.  I found a camera rotator that I think is being sold by William Optics, but I'm not 100% sure if it's just designed to do what my current rotator does that is attached to or is a part of the WO flattener on that scope.  Or do folks just go ahead and let their EAF rotate into different positions and not worry about it?

#2 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:06 PM

See this is another reason why I love using an OAG. I set up my OAGs to offset some/most of the weight imbalance caused by my focusers on my 3 refractors. So, I can rotate the whole system and there's no balance change. Think about how to add some weight 180 degrees from the EAF. I'm surprised that such a tiny amount of weight causes a serious problem.  

• Astronut07 likes this

#3 ShortLobster

ShortLobster

Mariner 2

• Loc: Stamford, CT, USA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:08 PM

Is the weight of an EAF enough to throw out your balance to the extent it impacts your tracking or guiding? If not, seems like adding a rotator is just another thing that could go wrong (tilt, light leaks, etc.)

I use an EAF on 3 scopes and never have issues with balance from it's position,

#4 seanboon

seanboon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:27 PM

Is the weight of an EAF enough to throw out your balance to the extent it impacts your tracking or guiding? If not, seems like adding a rotator is just another thing that could go wrong (tilt, light leaks, etc.)

I use an EAF on 3 scopes and never have issues with balance from it's position,

It's a good question.  I kind of just assumed it that it was an issue.  Do folks just not worry about it?

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:32 PM

This one:  https://williamoptic...2-5-m63-focuser

...goes at the front of the reducer/flattener.  It only rotates the imaging train, not the entire focuser, so the EAF doesn't move.

I have it on my GT71, works great.

• telfish and Astronut07 like this

#6 seanboon

seanboon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:08 PM

This one:  https://williamoptic...2-5-m63-focuser

...goes at the front of the reducer/flattener.  It only rotates the imaging train, not the entire focuser, so the EAF doesn't move.

I have it on my GT71, works great.

This is the scope I have and it does have a rotater that is classified as a camera rotator, but maybe I'm not understanding how it's supposed to work.   Would I use the object you have listed along with the one that comes with the scope?  I feel like once I screw my camera into the EAF, if I want the EAF to be oriented either up or down then I have no option to rotate the camera.  

https://williamoptic...n-turismo-81-iv

#7 TheSheriff

TheSheriff

Ranger 4

• Loc: Duck Football Country

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:23 AM

This is the scope I have and it does have a rotater that is classified as a camera rotator, but maybe I'm not understanding how it's supposed to work.   Would I use the object you have listed along with the one that comes with the scope?  I feel like once I screw my camera into the EAF, if I want the EAF to be oriented either up or down then I have no option to rotate the camera.  

https://williamoptic...n-turismo-81-iv

No, you don't need the part Paul listed since you already have it on your scope.

I think when you say EAF (Automatic Electronic Focuser), you really mean EFW (Electronic Filter Wheel).  If the latter is the case, I personally don't worry about balance issues when I rotate the image train.  I have a 36mm ZWO 7-slot FWIW.

• OldManSky likes this

#8 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:54 AM

No, you don't need the part Paul listed since you already have it on your scope.

I think when you say EAF (Automatic Electronic Focuser), you really mean EFW (Electronic Filter Wheel).  If the latter is the case, I personally don't worry about balance issues when I rotate the image train.  I have a 36mm ZWO 7-slot FWIW.

Brad is right.  The part I referred to is for scopes like my GT71 that don't come with a rotator.  Yours comes with one.

And he's also right that you don't need to worry about rotating the filter wheel -- my ZWO EFW (8-position filter wheel) doesn't affect balance in any noticeable way when it's rotated.

• seanboon likes this

#9 seanboon

seanboon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:55 PM

Ah yes,  my mistake on the EAF part.    I was indeed referring to the filter wheel and just used the wrong acronym.  I do have the EAF as well.  It sounds like I don't need to worry about the rotation of the filter wheel and that I don't need an additional part.  Thanks everyone!

• TheSheriff and OldManSky like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics