•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounting bracket options for iOptron Skytracker Pro

3d printing DSLR Equipment Mount Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmanley134

cmanley134

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 12:39 PM

Hi all! Currently searching for a better way to mount my Nikon D5600 to my iOptron Skytracker Pro. I've been using a single ball head but that causes the camera to essentially "hang" off one side or the other on shots where the camera needs to be at or near vertical. As a result, the extra torque generated seems to throw off the tracking. My camera is well within the tracker's weight limit so I don't think I need to worry about buying the counterweight kit right now - I just need a better/different mounting scheme.

What I'd like to find is essentially a compact l-bracket that's about 2.5 inches long on each side and has a 3/8" mounting hole for the tracker and a 3/8" locking screw for the ball head. I'm attaching a sketch that hopefully gets the idea across. Unfortunately I don't have any of the tools to make something like this, so maybe I could have it 3D-printed or something? Open to ideas on that front, or other potential options if anyone else has this tracker and has figured out something effective. The l-brackets I've been able to find are generally too large and would require 1/4" to 3/8" adapters in multiple spots, which is introducing points of failure that I'd rather avoid. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4956.jpeg

Edited by cmanley134, 06 December 2021 - 12:44 PM.

#2 photobiker

photobiker

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Williamsburg, VA

Posted 06 December 2021 - 01:40 PM

Is there a reason you can't use the mounting hardware that came with the mount?  It makes it pretty simple and you have a variety of options for mounting your camera.

#3 cmanley134

cmanley134

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:20 PM

Not sure what mounting hardware you're referring to, there's just the tracker itself and the base. The only mounting option shown in the user manual is attaching the camera to a ball head that goes either on the front of the tracker (what I've been doing) or on the arm of the counterweight kit. I'd rather figure out something with an l-bracket than spend an additional $80 or $90 on the counterweight. 

#4 photobiker

photobiker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:28 PM

So you didn't get the DEC mounting bracket w/ camera mounting disk 1.35kg counterweight that goes with it.  See attachment.

Attached Thumbnails

• SkyGuider.JPG

#5 cmanley134

cmanley134

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 03:04 PM

Nope, don't have that. Does not come with the tracker and must be purchased separately for $85. Seeking input on potential alternatives.

Edited by cmanley134, 06 December 2021 - 03:04 PM.

#6 photobiker

photobiker

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:23 PM

Having that hardware will make your life a lot simpler and if you want to use a long lens you will need it for weight distribution.

#7 cmanley134

cmanley134

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the input, I've posted a wanted ad over in the classifieds section. Would still love to hear input on my l-bracket idea as it seems promising based on my experience using the tracker. 

#8 Drumsetplyr87

Drumsetplyr87

Lift Off

• Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 08 December 2021 - 08:55 AM

It will work and you will face balancing issues. If you are using short exposures, or wide angles, it will likely work just fine. If you are shooting long exposures, or have a lens longer than 135mm or so, balance becomes critical in my experience. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d printing, DSLR, Equipment, Mount, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics