•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Refractor telescope Carson 90eq, pros and cons

Refractor Optics Observing Mount Equipment EQ
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Reg_Astro

Reg_Astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 December 2021 - 02:49 PM

Qual a opinião dos membros sobre este telescópio refrator Carson? Alguém usou e observou neste telescópio por tempo suficiente e pode dizer seus prós e contras.

https://www.bhphotov..._telescope.html

Agradeço a todos pelas respostas.

Attached Thumbnails

• carson_rp_400_redplanet_50_111x90mm_telescope_1581008792_1545424.jpg

#2 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 06 December 2021 - 03:07 PM

I don't know how many people here speak Portuguese.  I guess enough of us can get by with our Spanish.  

Better choices: Starbase 80, (link provided) because 90% of the viewing experience is in having a good mount, and the scope you showed does not. It also has better focuser and optics.  It is a serious mistake to try to buy inexpensive refractors.  The refractors that are fun to own require more attention to focuser and mount than cheap telescopes can provide.

Skywatcher 6"  (150 mm) dobsonian, inexpensive, sturdy and four times the light gathering power of the 80mm telescopes.  It is closer to the budget you have for the Carson.  

As far as I'm concerned,  the Carson telescope is NOT RECOMMENDED.  There is a class of telescopes that are designed to look nice in a picture and be sold, but not used.  

Greg N

#3 vtornado

vtornado

Aurora

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 06 December 2021 - 03:17 PM

I don't own this scope.  It appears as if the mount is too small for it.

The diagonal appears to be low quality.

The finder will be OK for moon and planets and bright objects, but I don't think

it will do well for faint objects.

Perhaps someone here will give their opinion on the mount.

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

James Webb Space Telescope

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:41 PM

One of the things one can do with a telescope like this is a "Google image search."  When you do it with this scope, the only thing that comes up are commercial pictures related to selling the scope.

When you google "Skywatcher 90" you get pictures that private individuals have taken of their telescope set up in the field or at home.  You get a few pictures taken *through* the scope and you can tell they aren't Hubble pictures that were pasted in.  

If you google "Takahashi 90" you get more pictures taken through the scope, and more pictures taken by proud owners.

If you google CFF 92mm or Stowaway 92mm, you get ONLY pictures taken by proud owners and NO commercial saturation advertising.

In other words, what is missing from the Carson 90 google image search is the "proud owners" posts.    Based on what we know about telescopes, prices, and performance, it is reasonable to infer that the user base has not generated the same enthusiasm.  

Greg N

#5 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:46 PM

There are two types of telescopes, those which encourage newcomers to grow with the hobby and open the doors to the wonder this hobby offers. The second type are those made for the sole purpose of generating a profit without regard for your satisfaction and whether or not you’ll be encouraged to explore the hobby further. Unfortunately the telescope in the image will leave you frustrated, the starbase 80 mentioned above will give you a much better experience, it is worth the wait and time to save more.
  • gnowellsct likes this

#6 Reg_Astro

Reg_Astro

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:32 PM

Really, to the eyes is so much attractive. I not imagined that would be thus. This telescope is as unsuitable, both referent the part optical, as in mechanical part? Would be for ornament only in room or other local in house. Whereby i am understanding.

Still, somebody have this equipment and could actually describe your experient of use with this telescope? For conscience relief.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Refractor, Optics, Observing, Mount, Equipment, EQ

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics