•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M45 Round 2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theKCW

theKCW

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:24 PM

I have re-imaged M45 - this time I have about 2 hours of 1 minute exposures.  I used my Nikon D5500 and my 135 f/2 lens but I stopped it down to 2.5.  It seemed to help with the focusing, but looking at the image it seems like I still had some tracking issues.  I changed from using Photoshop to PixInsight and while I spent a few days going through it I really enjoy the workflow so far.  While I have a lot left to learn, I'm really enjoying the process so far!  Criticisms and suggestions welcome!

M45.jpg

• EGregerson and Desertanimal like this

#2 EGregerson

EGregerson

Lift Off

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:28 AM

that's pretty amazing with a 135 lens.  I don't see any tracking issue;  the stars (at the edges) are nice and round & sharp.  the center ones appear foggy due to all the gas. 

#3 theKCW

theKCW

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:24 AM

Thanks!  Its cropped in a good little bit, but I see now that there aren't any star trails really anymore - I had noticed some in PixInsight around but it seems to be gone now

#4 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:32 AM

It's great you're enjoying PI. It is very powerfull. First thing I would say from quickly looking at your image is that your background is way too dark and you are obliterating a lot of signal.

#5 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:49 PM

Agreed.  You'll find more of the dust shows if you lighten up that background.  Take my M45 for example, where I think even I went too hard on the black level.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics