•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Reflections on my return to astronomy, one year ago this month.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CBM1970

CBM1970

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 06 December 2021 - 11:49 PM

I have seen a lot of people here on CN who, like me, started in astronomy a long time ago and then lost interest, only to pick it up again years or decades later.  I'm always interested in hearing stories and posts about this.  There seem to be a lot of us here.  I came back to astronomy a year ago, and I'm really enjoying it again.  I figured I'd share how I got involved in the hobby again and how its all playing out.  Maybe some of you will do the same.

It was around this time last year that I seriously started thinking about observational astronomy for the first time in decades.  I spent years doing backyard astronomy when I was very young, but I gradually lost interest in my later teen years, and for whatever reason I never returned to it.  To be sure, I'd looked at the sky as an adult from time to time with unaided eyes.  One can't miss the moon and bright planets from a car window, or an unexpected sighting of Orion on a dark winter night.  What's more, I had kids now, and I found myself talking to them about the night sky on many a night.

Still, it took the Jupiter-Saturn conjunction in December of 2020 to really re-light the spark.  I started looking at telescopes online in the weeks leading up to the event.  I was amazed at what was out there. Highly portable four inch refractors for $300?  Wow!! When I was a kid, a four inch refractor was a thousand dollar instrument at least, and the whole apparatus weighed about a hundred pounds.  There were a lot of new choices, a lot of  new questions, and a lot of options that didn't exist when I was a kid.

Of course, I quickly learned that telescopes were sold out everywhere, and that my chances of picking one up quickly were non-existent.  The Jupiter-Saturn conjunction came and went, and my chances of seeing the two planets together in an eyepiece evaporated.

It didn't matter though. I'd caught the bug, and I started going out on cold winter nights and looking up at the sky.  Despite living in a suburban cul-de-sac, my skies were reasonably dark and I wondered what I could see.  I found an old pair of 7X35 binoculars and added them to the mix.  My night vision had always been very poor (more on that later) but I resolved to get out and reacquaint myself with the night sky again. 

How I started observing the skies.

My first telescope came in 1979, when I was nine years old.  It was a Selsi 60/700 achromatic refractor (probably manufactured by Towa, from what I've learned on CN).  It came with 20mm and 5mm Huygens eyepieces, and a completely useless barlow lens.  I did much of my viewing through my bedroom window. By 1981, I became more serious about observing, and I was gifted a C90.  The summer of 1981 was a great time to observe from my suburban southern California location. Jupiter, Saturn, and Venus were all well placed in the sky.  I think I spent almost every night out with the C90 that summer. Two years later, I traded in both of my scopes (along with saved, gifted, and borrowed money) for an Orange Tube C8.

Thanks to a combination of good optics and good observing conditions, I had great luck with my C8.  My family had moved to a “high desert” location at a little over 3,000 feet in elevation.  The setting was rural, with only dirt roads and a few houses interrupting the rolling juniper/sagebrush woodland.  There wasn't a store or a streetlight for miles around.  I spent night after night under dry and cloudless skies during the warmer months of the year, when the planets were out. I encountered dew very rarely (and this was without a dew shield). My observing process was usually to set up just as the sun was going down, or even earlier, as I often started with terrestrial observations. (I had a treeless line of sight to mountain ranges on the horizon, and they made fantastic daytime targets.)  I learned a lot about how to use the scope effectively, even learning how to collimate the scope by reading the manual after a couple of nasty bumps on the way outside.

The stock 25mm Kellner and 2X barlow that came with the C8 were the best eyepiece and barlow I'd used up to that time.  I did most of my planetary observing at 160X with this combination. I saw wonderful detail on Jupiter and a crisp Cassini division on Saturn most nights. The views were head and shoulders above anything I'd had with my previous scopes. My other eyepieces were Huygenians and Ramsdens that I'd obtained for my smaller scopes years earlier.  I bought a $3 adapter to use them in the 1 1/4” diagonal when I got the C8.   I could go as high as 400X on the moon with those funky little .965” eyepieces, and my scope and seeing actually supported this with some frequency.  I had far less success with the planets at these high powers for all the usual reasons, and also because finding and tracking planets in 30° AFOVs was almost impossible.  Still, the elements occasionally came together for views that left lasting impressions. I put in a great deal of time and effort, and I learned a lot with what I had.

Of course, the elephant in the room here is what I WASN'T looking at.  I spent many hours on dozens of nights looking at the moon and planets as well as double stars, and I loved the hobby for that alone. However, I have been affected by “night blindness” all my life, and deep sky was something I viewed as pretty much impossible.  Just making out the constellations was very challenging (not that I was very meticulous in my dark adaptation).  The narrow fields and small exit pupils in all my scopes didn't help. 

I can actually remember coming home very late on one fall night after a long and dark car ride, and seeing Orion blazing overhead in a dark and transparent sky.  I had never seen it so well. I ran inside and brought out the C8.  I used the 25mm Kellner (my lowest power and widest fov eyepiece – haha!) and quickly found the belt stars.  I looked and looked for M42, for what must have been over an hour.  I knew exactly where to look, for I'd seen it in star charts and pictures for years, but I never found it.

As I aged into my teen years, a lot changed in my life.  I became less interested in astronomy, taking the scope out only occasionally by the time I turned 16 or so.  After a while, it lived full time in the lovely trunk that came with it.  Astronomy became something of a distant memory for me.  Sometimes I wonder if I'd have stuck with it if I had joined an astronomy club back in those days.  The hobby was always kind of solitary for me, and though I occasionally had a friend or two who went observing with me, but I was always the "expert" in those situations.  I never really had a more experienced person to learn from.

A return to the skies and why I chose the telescope I did.

Back to the present (or more recent past)!  By January, 2021, I'd discovered Cloudy Nights, and I was spending at least an hour on any clear night looking up from a patio chair in my snowy backyard (or driveway) – finding Orion, Castor and Pollux, Auriga, and others.  I managed Megrez with unaided eyes at magnitude 3.33 as the big dipper started rising in the eastern sky.  This, believe it or not, was a personal best for me and my crazy night vision.  (I've managed a few fainter stars since then, but nothing as low as mag 4. My eyes are no better, but no worse, than they were when I was a kid)  I used a pair of 7X35 binoculars laying around the house to have my first ever view of the Hyades and the Pleiades.  I was breathless with delight and wonder (despite the fact that my eyes see the Pleaides in 7X35 binoculars as exactly seven stars and no more.)  I wasn't sure how “much” I'd see, but I knew that I wanted to “do” deep sky observing, even if I could only do it in a limited way.

Of course, I was still looking for a telescope, but everything was backordered.  This turned out to be a blessing in disguise.  Were it not for this supply shortage, I would have bought impulsively.  I'd have had a lot less time to learn and re-learn the night sky with my eyes alone, and I'd probably have chosen a telescope that wasn't right for me.   Thanks to CN and many other sources, I learned all about spherical vs parabolic mirrors, chromatic aberration, eyepiece characteristics, exit pupils, and a wide variety of other things.  This helped me to make good decisions.

Not knowing how long my new fascination with astronomy would last, and having limited space and a limited budget, I slowly made my way to the 130mm – 150mm tabletop dobs.  These seemed like the most capable instruments that would get me back in the game without taking up too much space or money.  As this was intended as a gift for my family (and admittedly, myself), my sister graciously agreed to chip in, in return for a few views of the night sky.  I didn't have any interest in goto or push to, or computer assisted anything, so that helped keep costs down.

It took nearly two months for it to arrive once we'd ordered it, but on March 2nd, my manual Starblast 6 arrived.

I've heard a number of criticisms of this scope that are probably perfectly valid, but they have not caused me to have any real regrets.  Some of these criticisms were as follows:

-The scope will only accept 1 1/4” eyepieces. TRUE, but the first time I used 1 1/4” eyepieces was with my C8.  They still seem big and comfortable to me, and I am now getting the widest FOVs I've ever had.  Almost every target I seek fits inside the 25 mm stock Plossl that came with the scope, and finding and tracking targets is easier than it's ever been for me. Better yet, with a 5mm exit pupil as a default finder eyepiece, I'm seeing starfields in a way that I never did with my previous scopes, which were really better suited to lunar and planetary viewing.

-You need a table to put it on.  TRUE, but I kind of view this as the price of portability.  If I'm really being an optimist, I'd say that this adds to the versatility.  I have two different surfaces that I use for the scope, often depending on the type of targets and how close they are to the zenith.  I WILL concede that easily available round top tables seem to be exactly 18 inches in diameter – precisely the same as the spread between the feet on the dob base (and thus unsafe for use without modification), so there's that...

-Collimation is tricky and frequently required at F5.  TRUE, but I learned how to do this at the age of 13 with an SCT, and I don't mind doing it more frequently now.  The scope comes with a collimation cap, and it seems to work just fine.  The procedure takes a couple of minutes.  I am NOT a handy person.  I can't assemble a piece of furniture purchased from a big box store without a thousand swear words and three leftover parts that I didn't know what to do with when I was putting it together.  If I can collimate, anyone can!

-There is coma at F5.  TRUE, but I don't notice it very much until I take a smartphone photo through the eyepiece. My observing at low power has reminded me that I have mild astigmatism, so there's that, but I can't blame the scope for that one. The coma really doesn't bother me.

-It is hard to get high powers with a short focal ratio scope.  TRUE, but it is not THAT hard.  If I were stuck with the 5 and 6 mm Huygens and Ramsden eyepieces that I once had, I'd be worried, but modern eyepieces allow short focal lengths with good eye relief and wider fields at bargain basement prices.  The 50 degree AFOV of an ordinary Plossl eyepiece is wider than anything I used in the past.  I wear gas permeable contact lenses rather than glasses so this helps with eye relief.  My 10mm Plossl and $50 Svbony zoom eyepiece are just fine for FOV and eye relief to my eyes.

-No slow motion controls.  TRUE – I was actually terrified of this, and I almost stayed away from any kind of Dob mount as a result.  Once again, though, my experience came through for me.  Nudging the scope to track planets at high power with my existing eyepieces is really no harder than it was with my fork mounted C8 at 160X with slow motion controls.  This was probably due to my lousy attempts at polar alignment back in the day, but regardless of the reason, tracking seems easy to me.

There is a common thread running through all of this.  I have been out of the observing game for SO long that I almost feel like a time traveler when it comes to equipment – even though I don't use goto or anything like it.    As a result, I am happily impressed by the entry level eyepieces, free phone apps, and other very standard equipment of 2021.

BUT, what about that focuser?  Ok, you've got me there.  A cheap and imprecise focuser with an F5 scope is a chore.  This is my only genuine complaint about my scope.  I do spend a lot of time futzing with focus.  I may try to do something about this one day.  Still, it is really just part of my observing process at this point, and I eventually find fine focus, even though it takes time.  I'm dealing with a number of other challenges anyway.  Freezing cold weather, frequent clouds, neighboring lights, moisture in all seasons, and frequent poor seeing and transparency are all things that differ from the rather rosy observing conditions of my youth.  I'm not complaining.  In the past 9 months, I've probably logged about 50 observing sessions and 100 hours with my SB6, and I have found it all to be truly rewarding. I have seen a lot.

I took a look at my observing logs last month and I have found 21 Messier objects and another dozen or so “other” deep sky objects (NGCs and also things like the Alpha Persei cluster).  This is not much compared to many people here, but it is SO much more than I ever saw in my observing past.  I've seen most of these objects multiple times.  There are a number of “new” things I didn't have in my youth that have helped me a great deal – Stellarium on my phone, online articles, the ability to take smartphone photos through the eyepiece, weather and seeing apps/websites, and of course, CN.  All of this has greatly enhanced my observing experience.  My star hopping has become pretty effective, particularly in light of my night vision.  Sometimes when I'm outside and trying to dark adapt, my seven year old daughter will step outside of a well lit house, and begin counting stars that I still can't see after sitting in darkness for half-an-hour.  I am truly thrilled that neither of my kids didn't inherit the night blindness from me, even if my repeated attempts to get them interested in looking through the eyepiece have borne very little fruit.  There is a lot I can't see that most others can but I'm seeing more than I've ever seen before, and I'm having a great time doing it.

Even when I'm doing lunar and planetary observing (and I've done a lot of it over the past 9 months) I often see “more” than I used to in many ways.  My C8 was somewhat more capable for lunar and planetary views, and  I am reminded of this from time to time.  However, what I have improved upon greatly is my own abilities as an observer.  I am amazed at how much more I see now than I did just six months ago, and I notice this with almost object that I view (and re-view).  Averted vision, star hopping, splitting doubles, and fining small features on planets and faint details in DSOs only gets better with more time at the eyepiece. 

The more I do this, the more I recognize that my knowledge, skill, and experience as an observer, affect the quantity and quality of what I see far more than equipment, conditions, or any other factor.  I still have a long way to go before I max out what I can see with a six inch tabletop dob in a suburban cul-de-sac.  There's an awful lot out there, and it gives me a lot of room for growth in this hobby.  I am truly happy that I came back to it, and I'm thankful for the this site and the people here.  You are all an amazing resource.

-Clear skies

Edited by CBM1970, 06 December 2021 - 11:51 PM.

• Tim Hager, payner, RASutton and 22 others like this

#2 therealdmt

therealdmt

Apollo

• Loc: 35° N

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:06 AM

Glad to hear you’re having more success than ever smile.gif

Today’s phone apps and also resources like Cloudy Nights really are a blessing for learning the night sky

• Chris K and CBM1970 like this

#3 ABQJeff

ABQJeff

Messenger

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:50 AM

Great story and assessment of your new equipment.  Thank you for sharing!

I am glad to have another ‘born’ astronomer back practicing the hobby.  I have a similar story on starting in my youth and leaving, except growing up I only had a department store 60mm refractor on a jiggly manual mount with no slow motion controls.  That scope drove me away from astronomy as much as ‘growing up’.  However, it helped pique my interest in space and I always stayed “space” aware thru my degrees (physics), work career (building and launching satellites and space probes) and visits to planetariums.  But for 30+ years I didn’t even own a set of binoculars.

What got me back into astronomy as a personal hobby was Covid, Comet Neowise and the Mars Opposition.  So I was able to get in before the extreme equipment shortages (although I had several month waits).  I too started with a 6” (a Mak-Cass) as my primary scope, not knowing if I really would like astronomy.  Now I have 6 scopes and 2 binoculars for this hobby, and I have logged 2269 observations on SkySafari (doesn’t include quick peeks at moon, planets, big bright DSOs or solar observations) …I guess the answer is: YES I do like astronomy!

CS to you on your renewed astronomy adventure!

• BrentKnight, therealdmt, Chris K and 2 others like this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 09 December 2021 - 02:16 PM

Nice story. I was very interested in amateur astronomy as a kid and teenager as well as while at college, where we had an astronomical society and the chance to observe with some large instruments by amateur standards. My participation diminished after that, with graduate school followed by a full time job and young family.  However, as my kids started to grow a little older, I was able to become more active and continue with the hobby to this day.

• BrentKnight, Hawker, Chris K and 1 other like this

#5 Donacton

Donacton

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:55 PM

I started my interest in the night sky in the 60’s. As a Boy Scout my dad gave me a glow in the dark star chart. I took it with me whenever we went camping. I loved the night sky away from the city lights. As I got older my interest changed to girls and other things that weren’t quite so good for me. Fast forward to the late 80’s with two kids, living in the high desert of Southern California I got back into the night sky. I bought a Astroscan and the kids and I enjoyed the night sky, often taking trips to Joshua Tree in our VW camper when it was still uncrowded as a National Monument. Rock climbing in the day and star gazing at night, how can you beat that? As the kids got older and involved in other interests my star gazing took a back seat. Through the years I still looked skyward but not with the vigor of before, meteor showers, comets and lunar eclipses. I retired in 2007 and moved from Southern California to central Maine. I enjoyed the clear night sky on occasion but nothing really serious.  Covid came along and I watched the Christmas Star last year with my old astroscan and thought I can do better than this. I bought a 8”SCT, I’m not getting any younger. Took it out on the frozen lake and lost myself in the night sky once again. Spent many nights relearning the night sky. Since then I have purchased a 4” refractor. I use the GOTO SCT when I just want to go out as see stuff or it is cold and I don’t want to be out for a long time. I use the refractor and a planisphere when I want to go “old school” and wander through the night sky.  Turn left at Orion is my go to guide.Sometimes I find myself just getting lost in the night sky.

• Chris K and CBM1970 like this

#6 Chris K

Chris K

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 11 December 2021 - 12:28 AM

These are great stories, everyone. Thank you for telling them.

I also "took the break" from astronomy without knowing I was doing it. Loved it as a kid, loved the school and Cub Scout trips to the Hayden Planetarium in NYC. Would go camping as a Boy Scout and lay under the sky at night not realizing what I had before me would become the thing only some vacation spots were made of. I begged my parents for a Sears 60mm refractor and even though I got it, it collected more dust than photons. In hindsight I actually knew the mount sucked without knowing there were better mounts! I could never find a star with it, didn't know to align the finderscope, etc. One time I got Jupiter in it for about 3 seconds and lost it. Boy did I gasp when it appeared. I finally gave up and it ended up sold at a yard sale. That chapter ended, somewhere in the mid to late 80s. Sure, I had paid some attention to the newsworthy events but it was almost like I had an inner guilt about turning my back on it all so I didn't give it my time. What a mistake.

I paused fast-forward button around 2015, when my wife and I went on a two-week trip to Hawaii that we had saved up for. Looking for things to do before we went, one of the travel books mentioned an astronomy tour on Mt. Haleakala so I booked it. That changed everything. It was my first view of Saturn and some other deep sky objects. When I got home I promptly started up my hobby.

Discovered the 2017 Solar Eclipse and booked a hotel in South Carolina two years in advance. Found Cloudy Nights. Bought binoculars, a planisphere and the Sky & Telescope Binocular Highlights book. Joined my astronomy club. Made some local friends on Cloudy Nights. Got a night pass to our state parks. Found an unbelievable deal on an 8" dobsonian in Manhattan. Carried an 8" dobsonian home on the Long Island railroad. Became the editor of our clubs's newsletter and am about to go live with our new website. I've spent $[censored] on eyepieces and more telescopes and have sold my dob to my friend.

Bottom line is, I live with regret of lost time and dark skies but am making up for it. I can't get enough of it all, and at this point in my life I am fortunate have the resources to enjoy it the way I want to and without a wobbly mount. I've logged all 100 Carbon Stars in the Astronomical League's program. I've seen a total solar eclipse and a partial eclipse. I've seen the Transit of Mercury. I've seen lunar eclipses and many meteor showers. I've seen and touched meteorites and have been inches away from a verified piece of Mars. I've seen the Milky Way in true dark skies and I've seen the Northern Lights. I've even seen a freaking naked eye comet. I listen to podcasts, read books, magazines, websites and read great stories like all of yours.

PLUS, I now check the weather more than the people on the Weather Channel.

Clear skies to you!

• dave253, mikemarotta and CBM1970 like this

#7 scoale

scoale

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 December 2021 - 06:59 PM

First, I truly enjoyed reading your story.  I found it to be very inspirational, as well as a reminder that no amount of gear is a replacement for passion.

I, too, recently got back into astronomy.  In the late 90s I purchased my first telescope, a Meade ETX 90.  I really enjoyed that scope!  It was easy to use which, given I had no idea what i was doing, was a very good thing.  My observing was limited to solar system objects.  In 2002 we decided to move to a more rural area - which was obviously a good thing from an astronomy perspective.  I was now observing under Bortle 4 skies and could actually see the Milky Way at night!  I decided to purchase a 8" Meade LX90.  With my new scope I took in my first views of the Hercules cluster, ring and dumbell nebulas, and other DSO.  Little did I realize how lucky I was to be observing under those conditions.

I moved again for a job change and, as my career progressed, had less time for astronomy.  Consequently, I probably unpacked the LX90 once or twice in 10 plus years.

Two years ago, I moved again.  My new home was under Bortle 8 skies and astronomy was the furthest thing from my mind.  That said, this past June I went searching in the attic for my old LX90.  After relearning how to set it up, and several false starts, I took in my first views and quickly realized that my new Bortle 8 skies had completely neutered my 8" SCT :(  Undeterred, I found Cloudy Nights and started learning how much has changed (Night Vision, EAA) - and how much remains the same (the timelessness of the Universe).  The wonderful thing about our hobby is that the Universe is ready when you are.

Thanks for sharing your story, Stephen

Edited by scoale, 13 December 2021 - 07:19 PM.

• dave253 and CBM1970 like this

#8 mikemarotta

mikemarotta

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:18 PM

I have seen a lot of people here on CN who, like me, started in astronomy a long time ago and then lost interest, only to pick it up again years or decades later.  I'm always interested in hearing stories and posts about this.  There seem to be a lot of us here.  I came back to astronomy a year ago, and I'm really enjoying it again.  I figured I'd share how I got involved in the hobby again and how its all playing out.  Maybe some of you will do the same.

[...]

The more I do this, the more I recognize that my knowledge, skill, and experience as an observer, affect the quantity and quality of what I see far more than equipment, conditions, or any other factor.  I still have a long way to go before I max out what I can see with a six inch tabletop dob in a suburban cul-de-sac.  There's an awful lot out there, and it gives me a lot of room for growth in this hobby.  I am truly happy that I came back to it, and I'm thankful for the this site and the people here.  You are all an amazing resource.

-Clear skies

Thanks for the biography and the narrative. It was really a pleasure to get to know you. (We sometimes get snarky comments here against long posts. Myself, I appreciate someone who can write and who has a story to tell. I do it for a living.) 

I understand, also, that the Orion Starblast 6-inch tabletop Dobsonian is not everyone's favorite. On the one hand, I appreciate the good advice that I have gotten here from Don Pensack, Tony Flanders, and others. However, I have made bad decisions-- lost opportunities -- based on the warnings from people whose opinionating surpasses their knowledgizing. 

The best telescope is the one that gets used. 

Congratulations on your active year in the hobby.

Best Regards,

Mike M.

• CBM1970 likes this

#9 CosmicWreckingBall

CosmicWreckingBall

Viking 1

• Loc: Chattanooga, Tennessee

Posted 13 December 2021 - 11:58 PM

Wonderful, well-written story, thanks for sharing and keep it up!  I also came back after a childhood love of astronomy.  

clear skies!

matt

• mikemarotta and CBM1970 like this

#10 CBM1970

CBM1970

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:41 AM

Thank you all for reading my story, and for your kind words. It is great to hear your personal stories and experiences with this hobby. It seems that the pull of the night sky can wax and wane and then wax again for a lot of us. 

Donacton, it is pretty remarkable that we both lived in the Southern California desert and Maine. I've run into many people here that have lived in So. Cal. but none who lived in the high desert areas!

Clear skies to all (and mild temperatures if possible - these observing sessions are getting cold!)

#11 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Viking 1

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 16 December 2021 - 02:44 AM

Loved your story. No, it's not too long. Our fast-paced, attention-deficit society needs to slow down and enjoy a good story.

I too started my interest in astronomy in my youth, and had a long hiatus. A couple years ago, my mother, bless her heart, gave me a box for Christmas. On opening it, I was holding an unfinished 6 inch Pyrex mirror I'd started 40 years prior. That spark reignited my passion for astronomy, which I enjoy more than ever. Thanks Mom!
  • CBM1970 likes this

#12 BobSoltys

BobSoltys

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:37 AM

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your stories.

Thanks Sam for reminding us that "Our fast-paced, attention-deficit society needs to slow down and enjoy a good story."

The department store refractor my parents gave me in the Sixties sat unused as I spent my time developing a career and staying current as a pilot. One night during a party at my house in Chicago's Beverly neighborhood I wondered what the bright star was and got out the old refractor.

Several years later when my parents were vacationing in Arizona, instead of going to the usual places I suggested Lowell Observatory. That visit inspired me to buy a 100mm refractor on a driven equatorial mount.

Not long after that, I read that the City of San Diego was going to swap out its low pressure Sodium street lights, which would harm observing at Palomar and Mount Laguna (San Diego State's observatory). I took an afternoon of leave to speak to the City Council in favor of keeping the low Na lights. After the meeting I met the volunteer coordinator for Mount Laguna Observatory Associates, which led volunteering at the observatory's star parties every summer weekend for almost ten years.

Astronomy fell by the wayside again and the 100mm sat unused as I settled into another career in Northeast Ohio. Now retired, a couple of years ago I downsized to a 70mm refractor that's easier to haul outside than the 100mm.

Going out to look for the mail just a couple of weeks ago, Voilà ! Jupiter, Saturn and Venus were putting on their light show. And so I hauled out the 70mm, which has seen more use in the last two weeks than it has in three years. Better late than never. And I'm grateful that I've kept a paper observing record since 1993.

Rik Hill mentioned CN during his recent appearance on the A.L.P.O.'s Observers Notebook podcast about buying telescopes, leading me to join CN. A member's review of the Televue Doublet 76 on CN convinced me to spend a little less money and get an EvoStar 80 ED instead. Once one's available. smirk.gif

Thanks again everyone. Wishing you all clear, dark skies.

Bob

Edited by BobSoltys, 18 December 2021 - 12:00 PM.

• payner and CBM1970 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics