•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Comet Leonard animation December 4

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 otoien

otoien

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:16 AM

I only got in 28 one minute exposures captured over about 45 min before daybreak at ISO 400 with the 300mm f/4 PF with f/4.5 front aperture on D500 tracked on the SkyTracker Classic, and there are some time gaps for checking and unacceptable tracking. The outside temperature was -34°C during the capture, so I was sort of happy that it did not last longer. The comet was located at >40° altitude but in the direction of the light pollution so noise levels and gradients became problematic. Frames were edited, cropped and resized in CNX-D and then registered in DSS before creation of the animated GIF. There are some weird distortions in the left part of the frame at the end, perhaps caused by inversion layers?

p3844940708.gif

• lukasik, Sheridan, Jim Waters and 11 others like this

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:50 AM

I think that distortion is from the registration in DSS, something caused DSS to misalign the stars in that section of the frame.

In any case, nice job and thanks for posting.

#3 otoien

otoien

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for the comment. You might be right, perhaps worth checking the source frames. I had problems with the actual stacks even in star register mode. The seeing was likely not good though, especially towards the end, with some blinking stars and swirly star shape. Here is a single edited frame from the beginning.

p3844939129.jpg

The stack registered on the comet in DSS only became quite noisy and did not show clean star trails, but shows a little more of the tail.

p3844938914.jpg

A combined comet + star mode completely messed up the colors and had a lot of artifacts on the stars, so I do not show it. I likely had too few frames for good results.

• Sheridan likes this

#4 abcdefghii

abcdefghii

Viking 1

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:13 PM

Nice. I keep getting up early in the morning, only to be disappointed by clouds. Not going to get up tomorrow though, rain and snow forecast tonight. 

#5 otoien

otoien

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:56 PM

Thanks and best wishes for a cloud free morning before it is too late! I had planned to get up earlier on this occasion to get in more time, but the combination of low batteries on my alarm clock and my brain did not work out... The night before I was up at 4 AM just to see the whole clear sky flooded by a veil of diffuse aurora. Then the day after I did not manage to wake up early at all, but I suspect the transparency would not have been good enough in the short window of clear sky that was predicted as it was already clouded at 8AM. It was likely the last chance here before it gets too low on the horizon as we are into some snowy, but considerably warmer weather now.

#6 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:37 AM

Going on 2 months of nothing but rain here and clouds.  I'm envious, I really wanted to get this target...

Thank you for posting something awesome !!

Clear Skies !!

#7 otoien

otoien

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:35 AM

Thanks for commenting and clear sky to you too!

BTW I re-registered the images again, this time before cropping, and it improved the distortions commented on towards the end of the animation, so james7ca was correct that it was mostly a DSS registering issue. I have updated the linked GIF (might need a cache refresh).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics