•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Great final exam question for a High School Physics test

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle, Wa

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:06 AM

The asteroid that crashed into the Earth years ago that ultimately saw the demise of the Dinosaurs was moving at a constant tangential velocity of 23 k miles per hour at initial impact? Describe all the physics concepts (include as many equations/derivations as possible) that apply to this event (as well as anything physics related that led to the asteroid's existence)...please confine all answers to Newton's three laws of motion (Classical mechanics)

If I had had this question in High School , I think I would have done much better in my 12th grade physics class. 

Edited by ehanes7612, 07 December 2021 - 01:09 AM.

#2 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 07 December 2021 - 03:10 AM

In our last class before Christmas Break back in 1979, my AP Physics teacher decided to roll a bunch of concepts together and devoted an entire class to the physics of Santa and his reindeer delivering presents on Christmas.  He calculated the # of presents to be delivered, the weight (mass) of those presents, the speed required to reach every child on Earth, the energy to overcome the drag to go at that speed, the amount of food required by the reindeer to create all the energy that had been calculated, etc.  He filled up the blackboards like 3 times.  At the very end of the class, he showed that the amount of reindeer 'waste' for this trip would be (I don't remember the exact number, but...) would cover every inch of Earth in 30 feet of reindeer 'waste'.  He then finished the class by saying something like, "It is truly miraculous that Santa delivers these presents every year, isn't it??"  Bell rings.

#3 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:00 AM

In our last class before Christmas Break back in 1979, my AP Physics teacher decided to roll a bunch of concepts together and devoted an entire class to the physics of Santa and his reindeer delivering presents on Christmas.  He calculated the # of presents to be delivered, the weight (mass) of those presents, the speed required to reach every child on Earth, the energy to overcome the drag to go at that speed, the amount of food required by the reindeer to create all the energy that had been calculated, etc.  He filled up the blackboards like 3 times.  At the very end of the class, he showed that the amount of reindeer 'waste' for this trip would be (I don't remember the exact number, but...) would cover every inch of Earth in 30 feet of reindeer 'waste'.  He then finished the class by saying something like, "It is truly miraculous that Santa delivers these presents every year, isn't it??"  Bell rings.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics