•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 2392

Sketching
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nightowl99

Nightowl99

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:12 AM

This is my final sketch from a great night in darker skies in early November. I was talking with another observer about filter selection for planetary nebula when they quipped that for planetaries they preferred the views at x500+, no filter required. Well that’s just a bit beyond what my 10” GSO Dob can do, especially in very average seeing. Or…was it? Funny thing about these rules of thumb I keep reading about in my explorations of this hobby.

Using a 2x barlow on my shortest focal length eyepiece  puts me right around x525 and although the stars in the field were a little bloated the nebula was still bright and clear, with color and so much detail visible. There were clearly a lot more details than the view at x360 and I wish I had more options at these magnifications to find the right view.

The central star was bright and clear, with a very apparent darkened ring around it. The inner shell formed a bright ring around this darkened center and another darkened ring around it. These concentric rings gave a kind of bullseye impression to me. The outer shell fringed around this second dark ring and the texture of the cometary knots was clearly visible. The outer shell was so unique, beautiful and visually detecting these cometary knots was incredible!

I didn’t think I’d be able to execute a sketch at this magnification in an untracked Dob (especially at 3:30 am after 9 hours of observing!) but the view was just so clear, bright and perfect that I had to try. The recognizable pattern of bright field stars made it easier to nudge things back into view, and since every other observer had packed it up for the night and I had already seen everything on my list (and then some!) I could be a bit less judicious with my red light. For me it was worth the added effort.

Here's my sketch done at the eyepiece on black paper with white conte pencil for stars and white pastel applied by brush for the nebula. Stars are highlighted afterwards with white gel pen.

NGC2392.jpg

NGC 2392
~x525 magnification
10” GSO Dob f/4.9
APM XWA 5mm, Televue 2x Barlow
11/5/21, Seeing and Transparency 3/5

Edited by Nightowl99, 07 December 2021 - 02:13 AM.

• Special Ed, stringscope, hbanich and 17 others like this

#2 Kasey8404

Kasey8404

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South East Idaho

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:08 AM

nice capture even more impressive with all that magnification. Have the hands of a surgeon my man!

#3 mdowns

mdowns

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:36 AM

This is an outstanding rendition! I enjoyed your approach concerning increased magnification,a tactic many of us employ to get out every detail.Really handsome drawing!                       Michael

#4 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:23 PM

Nightowl,

Nice sketch of NGC 2392 smile.gif .

CDS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#5 pedrovillamiel

pedrovillamiel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Alcorcón, Madrid. España

Posted 09 December 2021 - 02:08 PM

Good drawing.
No doubt you had an episode of atmospheric stability and good seeing, as well as common sense to take advantage of it.

Many nights in the wee hours of the morning is when I have obtained the best views of the objects.

Best regards.
Pedro.

#6 Raul Leon

Raul Leon

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa Florida

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:48 PM

Fine sketch!

#7 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On the bleu dot, 45.20 n 123,09 w

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:52 PM

Superbly done. 

#8 erick86

erick86

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 11 December 2021 - 09:38 PM

Ohhhhh I like this. Very nicely done.

Eric

#9 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:07 AM

Very nice work and also very recognizable. Good that you were able to go to 525x, it really helps to pull out the details.

Martijn

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics