•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

upgrading eyepiece for wide field views in light pollution

Accessories Beginner Equipment Eyepieces Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Hubble

Posted 20 December 2021 - 04:59 PM

Side question: many here are commenting on how the long focal length of OP's scope will make it easier to use cheaper eyepieces. I would like to understand that better.

As I understand it, short focal ratios create spherical aberration (for refractors) and coma (for reflectors) at the edge of the image. Do expensive eypieces correct for that? Or is some other physical property of long focal ratios involved here?

Short F ratio refractors suffer from chromatic aberration, unless they are Apos. Expensive eyepieces will not help with coma or CA. If they did, they would over correct for these with other scopes that don’t suffer from coma or CA.

#27 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

ISS

• Loc: New Lebanon, NY and Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 20 December 2021 - 08:43 PM

IMNSHO 90mm from Bortle 7 skies isn't going to do much for DSO observing.  My 4" Mak even has trouble resolving the Auriga clusters. I think a nice 6" F5 reflector is a minimum requirement for DSOs from Bortle 7.

Bigger is almost always better, and darker is definitely always better. But a 90-mm refractor in Bortle-7 skies can still do a mighty lot. Never as much as you would like, but that's always true, even when you're using a 30-inch scope under pristine skies.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#28 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 December 2021 - 09:08 PM

Bigger is almost always better, and darker is definitely always better. But a 90-mm refractor in Bortle-7 skies can still do a mighty lot. Never as much as you would like, but that's always true, even when you're using a 30-inch scope under pristine skies.

:waytogo:

I do a fair amount of observing from I consider Bottle 8 skies with 80 mm refractors and see quite a few DSOs. I think Tony has done most if not all of the Messier's with a 70 mm from an urban site.

Jon

#29 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, North America, Planet Earth

Posted 22 December 2021 - 02:41 PM

There was an eyepiece design known as the Pretoria that corrected for mirror coma years ago but it was not commercially successful.  

https://astromart.co...toria-eyepieces

https://theskysearch...pic.php?t=17156

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, Equipment, Eyepieces, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics