•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX90 Slew for a second on start up and freezes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GingerFish

GingerFish

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Forest, UK

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:17 PM

HELP... I am not an old hand at this game, but love it. I recently upgraded to a second hand LX90 8", it worked great for the first two nights I used it.

On the second night at the end of the session I had a camera attached and it touched the mount and stopped. It was at the end of the night and I was freezing so I called it anyway.

The next time I set the scope up, I power up, press enter for the language, then "mode". the scope starts to slew up to motor test and then just freezes, completely dead..

Sometimes when I try it the 1 second slew and it flashes up "motor Fault" then dies..

The odd thing is if I do not press "mode" or "0" and press a direction key the scope slews fine without an issue???

I have tried updating the hand box which it appears to have done ok (don't know how to tell)

I have checked the cable to it all strand have continuity

I have taken the side cover off to make sure all the connectors are securely on the board, and they are.

I am using a power bank that is giving all the right readings and power output.

I really like this scope (because I know no better) Can anyone throw some more ideas in the mix???

#2 rubmetoasty

rubmetoasty

Sputnik

• Loc: Lake Tahoe

Posted 07 December 2021 - 05:58 PM

The LX90 shoukd not be doing any slew when just turned on. It should just begin rotating at sidereal if set to polar, or tracking in alt/az if set to that, or nothing if set to terrestrial.

It sounds like when your camera hit the scope and caused the clutch to slip, it may have created a bind and your gear is preventing the worm from freely rotating in some instances, so it is throwing a motor fault. Are you able to use Calibrate motor? 

I would look at the worm and worm gear for the axis that was 'crashed' and ensure the pivot block is free to pivot and there is not excessive force between the gear and worm. If possible, try running off dedicated AC just to make sure thats not creating voltage issues. 

Edited by rubmetoasty, 07 December 2021 - 06:00 PM.

#3 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Messenger

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:13 AM

Your LX90 is it a LX90ACF with GPS and Audiostar controller or a LX90SC with Autostar controller? At this stage updating firmware via Autostar Updater conected to the net does not work, but what is the firmware that is displayed when it boots?

#4 GingerFish

GingerFish

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 December 2021 - 01:48 PM

Thanks all for the responses..

The telescope never used to slew when I started it up which made me think it was the controller.

the worm gear appears to be free running with no stiff sections and the pivot block is free. Also when I used the arrow keys I can use the motors to move the scope easily in all directions?

Also when the camera touched the mount it was at the end of the slew and did not really appear to do anything, I just though I would say just in case it meant something?

The telescope is an LX90 (not AFC) and the controller is an Audiostar, the firmware did update when I plugged it in hoping to solve the issue.

I will fire it up and find out what the firmware version is.. Do you think this maybe controller related rather than motor related???

#5 Piet Le Roux

Piet Le Roux

Messenger

• Loc: Bloemfontein, South Africa

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:08 PM

I am not sure but if it experienced a drive error it will try to do a "calibrate motor" every time it boots till it pass the test. The firmware could be a issue because there is no way that it could have updated correctly  via Autostar Updater but that we would only know by the firmware version. Did you download the firmware from StarGPS and loaded it with Starpatch? 

Edited by Piet Le Roux, 08 December 2021 - 02:09 PM.

#6 GingerFish

GingerFish

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2021 - 02:48 PM

Hi Piet Le Roux,

The "Audiostar" hand controller  says "©12 Meade 2013 BootLoader V3.1a"

then the next screen is "©18 497EP A4S4 **AUDIOSTAR**

then the screen asks what Language, Enter for Engish (so I press enter)

then the screen says "Press 0 to Align or MODE for Menu"

Regardless what I press next it tries to move the scope up for a second and stops?

If I don't press either "0" or "Mode" and just use the arrow keys the scope slews in line with the arrow keys?

I did the update by following the instructions on the Meade website and used "Autostar Updater 6.1 " then connected and hit the "Upgrde Autostar Software Now" button under the title as described?

Have I updated the wrong thing is that software not firmware???

Edited by GingerFish, 09 December 2021 - 02:50 PM.

#7 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 December 2021 - 04:20 PM

Gday GingerFish

A4S4 is the latest correct firmware, so should work.

You mentioned Motor Unit Fault earlier, do you still see this ????

Immediately after the "0 for align.." screen

the system checks for a flag that, if set, triggers a motor "calibrate"

and i see you mention that at times.

You also mentioned the mount moved under control using the slew keys

when in the "0 for align..." screen

Did the mount move at the correct speed tho ????

or does it always ramp up to about 2 deg/sec, no matter what the Hbx speed ????

If the latter, it does sound like the encoder may be tripping it up

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

I just looked at my decodes and have notes there that in the "calibrate" menu

the older mounts used to declare a MUF if the cal failed

but in the newer code, the MUF does not appear on the Hbx for all mounts.

I cant tell if it actually locks the Hbx tho

#8 GingerFish

GingerFish

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 December 2021 - 04:26 PM

All,

I feel really stupid..!! capital "S".

I was working my way through Andrew Johansen's comments and noticed that every time the motor did start the screen went dim on the hand box..

As the hand box takes very little power compared to the motors I tried swapping the battery with a 3S LiPo that I used to use on my previous telescope rather than the massive "Sky-Watcher" power bank.

The scope works perfectly just as it did when I bought it.... (using the 3S)

The power bank is reading fully charged, but my separate tester says otherwise.

I have learned all sorts about my scope and it has had updates and a service of the moving parts (except the focus arrangement that is still stiff and shifts sideways a little when you use it).

A MASSIVE THANK YOU for your help keeping spirits up to fix this..

Any thoughts or advice on servicing or fixing the focus would be appreciated (that's probably something silly too)..

#9 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:08 PM

The easy fix for focus issues is to run the focus knob back and forth to the extremes several times. This redistributes the grease and makes the action smoother.

#10 TomH1954

TomH1954

Explorer 1

• Loc: Paris, Arkansas

Posted 10 December 2021 - 06:56 PM

As already mentioned, run the focus knob each way to the stop in both directions several times. This won't eliminate mirror flop but it can help reduce it.

#11 GingerFish

GingerFish

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 December 2021 - 03:14 PM

Yet another THANKS..

This forum is awesome and has some fantastic and knowledgeable members..!

Focus is now better than it was. smile.gif 

Not sure about the "mirror flop" cloudy nights since the focus winding frown.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics