Hi Guys, I am a new owner of a Nexstar Evolution 8 Telescope and Star Sense Auto Align Camera and am hoping to get some advice with the alignment.
First I tried the manual alignment using the Nexstar HC and pointed the scope at 3 bright stars. After several failed attempts I was finally able to get it to 'complete alignment' only once out of 15+ attempts. After slewing towards a few different objects, nothing was even remotely visible in my eye piece.
I then bought the SSA Camera as I thought this would help improve accuracy and make aligning easier and faster. still no luck.
1) All firmware is up to date
2) Time/date/location is correct I think? I am using the SS Hand Controller. For the location, I enter in my GPS coordinates for a cottage in Muskoka Lakes, Ontario Canada. The coordinates for the cottage on google are Longitude: -79.467100 Latitude: 45.028670. In the SS Hand Controller, I enter in Long: East 79 46' 54", Lat: North 45 03' 01" as there is no " - " option.
3) I have tried on multiple clear and moonless nights with at least 1000+ stars visible with the naked eye
4) I have all the essential dew covers / heaters for the lenses.
5) I am starting with the scope level to the horizon (pointing towards the North part of the sky) and there are no visible obstructions
Using the SS Hand Controller and the Auto Align, I enter in all the essential 'Time, Date, Location', the scope scans the skies for stars. I am seeing multiple coordinates appear on the screen (see file attached) and then after about 20-30 minutes I get “The alignment is not good enough for pointing the telescope, please try another alignment”.
I am not sure if there is something wrong with my mount or camera? Is it usually this complicated? When I bought both my scope and camera the firmware was out of date by 6 years and I was told by Celestron that apparently my equipment had been sitting on a store shelf for that long. I have been at this for over a year now and haven't been able to see anything other than the moon and planets so you can imagine how frustrated I am feeling at this point.
I have emailed Celestron and am waiting for next steps. Most of the support I have gotten from them has been vague and lots of trial and error.
Any advice or insight is much appreciated. Also if you can recommend any other tools or apps that will help me to find deep sky objects and centre them in the eye piece that would be amazing.
Edited by maddy_andromeda, 07 December 2021 - 06:50 PM.