•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI not chaging location

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gcorniani_br

gcorniani_br

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:16 PM

Hello all

I just change the notebook I use to connect to my Celestron telescope and on the very first time I connect both and ran CPWI, it came with a diferent location where I am. It cames with location near Los Angeles, USA. It came with the right time and timezone. But there is NO option to change location. Please see attached image.

2021-12-07 205956.jpg

Any clues on how to fix this ?

Thanks !

#2 Seiten

Seiten

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntsville, AL 35763

Posted 10 December 2021 - 10:59 AM

CPWI is grabbing the location from the Windows OS.  Go to your location settings in the Windows OS and set it to update location.  Or better, manually set the location to your location on the map.  Its unlikely your laptop has a GPS sensor so Windows auto location detection will be based on some internet location.  Mine was never consistent so I just manually set the location in WindowsOS.

Type "Set Default Location" down in the windows search bar and all the setting should be there.

#3 scopewizard

scopewizard

Viking 1

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 December 2021 - 12:38 PM

The fact that you are missing the ability to select or set a location, tell me something is not correct with the install of CPWI. I would uninstall it, reboot the system and install again.

I save the alignment for each observing location. I reload the alignment as required. I do not rely on Windows for finding my location if away from any internet connection.

These alignment files are simple text, open and mod the lat and long as required and save under a new name. I created about 8 different locations and saved them with the appropriate names.

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 14 December 2021 - 01:06 AM

I suspect the default location that it is selecting is that of Celestrons HQ! I think it is taking the time from your local computer settings, but not finding location.

1. Make sure that in Windows (Internet) location services is on.
2. Make sure that you are connected to the Internet.
3. Ensure that a VPN is not causing problems.

As regards VPN, I have found that Norton VPN has recently played havoc within my household. For example, I have an electric fire that I can turn on/off remotely from my mobile phone. However, if I am using a VPN, then remote control doesn't work (as presumably it doesn't recognise my phone). My 5Ghz MESH WiFi extenders at home work fine, but if Norton VPN is operative, the APP used for diagnostics then won't find the devices (as they are hidden behind the VPN). To check stuff (like signal strength), I have to briefly turn off VPN to use the APP. Like <battery savers> and other good ideas, VPN can cause unforseen impacts if devices used for remotely controlling things cannot be recognised. It wouldn't surprise me if there are impacts on location services.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics