•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Low alt galaxies- NGC 1365, 1097, 55, Fornax Cluster, & more

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daveatvt01

Daveatvt01

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Az

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:12 PM

I got to spend a couple of nights camping in the desert at Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge smile.gif

The second night transparency was fantastic, although clouds came in around sunset and stayed until after 10pm. It was well worth a shorter observing session though, because I finally got a good look at the spiral arms in NGC 1365! I have tried unsuccessfully quite a few times before- usually you can just see the core. It only gets about 22 degrees above the horizon, so conditions have to be perfect.

Ngc 1365

I had a planned list for the night but didn't really use it. I ended up just using SkySafari, picking off low altitude galaxies since transparency was so good. Next, I happened to try for NGC 1097 and I did a double take. Another barred spiral? Yes indeed.

Ngc 1097

The last galaxy sketch I did that night was going to be NGC 1399, which turned out to be one of many galaxies visible in the Fornax Galaxy Cluster (or at least the section of it that fit in the eyepiece). 1399 is center- right in the FOV. NGC 1365 is quite nearby, but out of the field of view.
fornax cluster

And also a glob in Columba, NGC 1851:
Ngc 1851

Earlier in the evening I also saw a string of Starlink satellites go by and snapped a bad photo...

starlink

The previous night I sketched NGC 55:
Ngc 55

And part of Abell 426 (6 galaxies visible tonight in a 9mm eyepiece, sometimes more are visible)
Abell 426

In the early morning of the 3rd I got up to see C/2021 A1 (Leonard) near M3. I did a very, very quick sketch after oversleeping a bit. This sketch has been edited in post to make the comet and M3 smaller, so it's a lot more accurate (not something I usually do) 

M3 And Leonard edited

Here's a photo with the Comet Catcher from the same time:

M3 and Leonard

And the dob waiting for nightfall:
17.5 goes camping

• Special Ed, frank5817, KidOrion and 18 others like this

#2 mdowns

mdowns

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW,FL

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:44 PM

So much to take in here,wow.Very glad you took the time and care to draw these.As impressive as your observations and drawings are(top notch all) I must say that your drawings of 1365 and 1097 take the cake for me,exceptional really.Terrific report sir!        Michael

#3 GUS.K

GUS.K

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Australia.

Posted 08 December 2021 - 03:47 AM

Wow, fantastic sketches.

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:25 AM

Dave,

This is a really fine set of observations and drawings!  like-button.jpg

#5 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 08 December 2021 - 02:57 PM

Dave,

Very nice sketches of Low alt galaxies- NGC 1365, NGC 1097, NGC 55, Fornax Cluster, & more smile.gif .

CDS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics